Blue screen every time I startup my pc

HazzFTW

Hi all,
First post on here. I have my own pc build and never had any problems with it before. I’m going to provide as much info about my issue as possible because it’s getting to the point where I’m going to give up searching for answers.
At the start of this month I got an Oculus Rift S and played on it for about 4 hours until I was blue screened, this was definitely down to overheating which I resolved with more cooling etc. I haven’t played on my oculus since but even when just sat on my desktop I would be blue screened for no reason. I decided to do hardware checks with software and physically but no issues arose. I decided to completely reset both my SSD and HDD to reinstall windows and start fresh hoping the issue was resolved. Where to my surprise I can’t even reinstall windows.
I will turn on my pc, get to the boot screen where I will go into bios to install windows using a USB. Get through all the settings, windows 10 > drive 0 (SSD) > install and it will get to “installing windows files” it will hit about 80-100% and then blue screen me. The same cycle repeats itself over and over, I’ve swapped out the RAM, gotten a new motherboard, tried different drives and even took out the graphics card but nothing has worked so far. I cannot use my pc for anything other than editing bios settings which is useless in this case because I can’t even get to a windows logo.
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-PLUS
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair vengeance at 3000mhz
Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 1070
CPU: Intel i7-6700 3.4GHz
Power supply: Corsair CX750M
SSD: PNY CS900 240GB
HDD: Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB

crjdriver

this was definitely down to overheating which I resolved with more cooling
How exactly did you attempt to fix the overheating?
Next can you enter the bios? If so, post the following info from the bios; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Let it run in the bios for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages.

HazzFTW

How exactly did you attempt to fix the overheating?
Next can you enter the bios? If so, post the following info from the bios; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Let it run in the bios for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages.
I fixed the overheating by moving one of my fans out of an obstructed place and gave it more space to bring in cool air and exhaust it into the case. Another reason I believe it can’t be heating is because the pc blue screens within minutes of being turnt on. Before I restored my files I could be sat on desktop doing nothing and with nothing running and it would blue screen 100% of the time within about 10 minutes.
BIOS DISPLAY:
Cpu temp - 34°C
Motherboard - 28°C
Cpu core voltage - 1.120V
Memory voltage - 1.200V
Voltage values - 12.192V, 5.040V and 3.264V

crjdriver

Blue screen in minutes means nothing. Modern processors can overheat in seconds.
Your temps and voltages in the bios look OK.
Have you tested memory with memtest? If not, do so. Let memtest run for at least 1hr. If you do not have any errors after 1hr, your memory is probably fine.
https://www.memtest.org/

HazzFTW

Blue screen in minutes means nothing. Modern processors can overheat in seconds.
Your temps and voltages in the bios look OK.
Have you tested memory with memtest? If not, do so. Let memtest run for at least 1hr. If you do not have any errors after 1hr, your memory is probably fine.
https://www.memtest.org/
I tested with Memtest86 before I restored all my drives and I had no issues. I’ve swapped out the memory after this issue has happened too and still blue screen. I’ll test it again but I’m expecting the same pass result or another blue screen. I’ll get back to you with what happens.

Just my 2 cents: What type of CPU cooler are you using? Have you checked that your CPU cooler is fully seated with the correct amount of thermal paste? Is all your hardware and cables fully seated and firmly plugged in?

crjdriver

Make the bootable usb with memtest and boot the system with it. This removes the operating system from the task.
A very quick method of determining IF you have a hardware problem or a windows/driver/software problem is to boot the system with a linux live usb. If the system reboots, freezes, etc under linux, you know you have a hardware problem.

HazzFTW

Just my 2 cents: What type of CPU cooler are you using? Have you checked that your CPU cooler is fully seated with the correct amount of thermal paste? Is all your hardware and cables fully seated and firmly plugged in?
I’m using an arctic cooler and it is definitely mounted properly and new thermal paste was applied recently.

crjdriver

Does that cooler use the pushpins OR does it use a mounting plate/screws? If it is the former ie pushpins, it can be difficult to get all four pins properly seated unless you pull the motherboard out of the case. For this reason [and others] I always recommend pulling the board when doing an intel type ie pushpin cooler.
If this cooler uses a mount plate and screws, then it can be done in the case.

HazzFTW

Does that cooler use the pushpins OR does it use a mounting plate/screws? If it is the former ie pushpins, it can be difficult to get all four pins properly seated unless you pull the motherboard out of the case. For this reason [and others] I always recommend pulling the board when doing an intel type ie pushpin cooler.
If this cooler uses a mount plate and screws, then it can be done in the case.
The cooler is most definitely secured tightly and properly, it’s a pushpin. I remounted it yesterday when I got my new board and fully made sure everything was in order.

HazzFTW

Is the new motherboard the one listed in your first post?
Yes the ASUS H110M-PLUS. I did have an ASUS H110R and switched boards because I expected that to be the issue. Also an update on the RAM, it’s on the second set of tests 83% through and no errors at all

crjdriver

If the ram tests OK, I would try another install. This time attempt the install with just the mech drive connected ie pull the pw connector from the ssd. If the install works, then you know that drive is OK and the problem is most likely with the ssd. If the install fails on the mech drive, disconnect it and try the ssd.

HazzFTW

If the ram tests OK, I would try another install. This time attempt the install with just the mech drive connected ie pull the pw connector from the ssd. If the install works, then you know that drive is OK and the problem is most likely with the ssd. If the install fails on the mech drive, disconnect it and try the ssd.
I’ve already tried both of those things before. SSD totally unplugged and installation on HDD and the other way round. Both have the same outcome, blue screen at about 80-100% installation which just leaves the drives with 3 partitions that contain nothing on them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online