Blue Screen Every TIme System Starts Up. HELP!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

superdrewster84

Hey Hey,

I've been getting an error/blue screen message when ever i start up my Acer Aspire 5650 laptop. It is a couple of years old now and,my last laptop died after about the same time so hopefully someone can shed some light.....

The message i get it on the blue screen when i start up the system is:

Cheking file system on C:
the type of file system is FAT32
Then it begins the check
Volume Serial Number is 320D-180E

The system will start up and i can use the it with out any trouble but it is anoying to have to sit for up to 5 - 10 minutes while it runs the check everytime.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Drew

superdrewster84, can you post the crash logs they are called minidump and they look something like this, Mini061904-01.dmp
You may need to show hidden files heres how;
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html

How to post a minidump log

I barrowed this great tutorial from;
Rollin' Rog
Moderator with 42,872 posts
I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Windows driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

So do you have a Restore, Recovery or Install disc?
or a Recovery Partition on the hard drive?

superdrewster84

Yeah i should have a reovery / install disc. do you think i should just to a wipe clean and reinstall?

superdrewster84, lets try and resolve the problems first then you can wipe and reinstall if needed other wise we just start with this again.
#1 Try uninstalling the acer software described below,
OsaFsLoc.sys is a Filesystem Lock driver manufactured by OSA Technologies and used, among other things, in Acer's eManager,
(Which is based in what Acer calls "Empowering Technology Support")
If your computer came with Acer eManager bundled, please uninstall Acer eManager and reboot the system. You can then try and install Acer Empowering Technology, if the problem persists I would remove them until a newer version comes out that fixes this problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bug report;
Probably caused by : OsaFsLoc.sys
The process Filesystem Lock driver belongs to the software Intel(R) Desktop Utilities or Acer Empowering Technology by OSA Technologies.

Description: File OsaFsLoc.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 11018 bytes (75% of all occurrence), 11978 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. There is no information about the maker of the file. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. File OsaFsLoc.sys is not a Windows system file. OsaFsLoc.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 36% dangerous.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as OsaFsLoc.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the OsaFsLoc.sys process on your pc whether it is pest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I gather "DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT" means it's blaming a driver for the fault. "IMAGE_NAME: OsaFsLoc.sys" is involved and I think it's related to built-in Acer software.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(do not use Microsoft Update for your hardware drivers, though)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.google.com/search?q=OsaF...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
**>> http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...059-crash-dump-file-analysis-help-needed.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 most likely caused by fault ram or hard drive so test them both;
So check your memory ASAP it can take a couple of hours.
http://www.memtest.org/
Then check you hard drive;
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably caused by : Fastfat.sys
Fastfat.sys file information

The process Fast FAT File System Driver belongs to the software Microsoft® Windows® Operating System by Microsoft Corporation (www.microsoft.com).

Description: Fastfat.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 143360 bytes (89% of all occurrence), 145152 bytes, 144768 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The file is a Windows system file. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. File Fastfat.sys is a Microsoft signed file. Fastfat.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 1% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as Fastfat.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the Fastfat.sys process on your pc whether it is pest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
THANK YOU!! Your suggestion was ingenious and my computer is FINALLY running again. God, it took a few hundred "restarts" and a whole lotta frustration for me to look up a possible solution. Thank you again... and to anyone else out there with that god awful fastfat problem... take the advice to... check your ram or memory or dimm!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A problem with RAM can cause this error. If you just added RAM, that is likely the problem. Even if no new RAM, memory can go bad and could well cause this problem. If you have more than one stick of RAM it is worth testing trying to boot with just one, rotating between different sticks and different slots.
-- Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
System32/drivers/fastfat.sys Is Corrupted Or Is Missing by Jay on February 6, 2008

Q: My computer shut off one day and I had to restart it. When it came back up it said “System32/drivers/fastfat.sys” is corrupted or is missing so I tried to reinstall but the system shuts down midway through the install. What should I do?

A: The error you are getting, has number of causes attached with it, few noteworthy reasons of this are as follows:

* The fastfat.sys file is really jinxed or missing.
* The error may also arise due to damaged or improperly installed RAM.
* The CD from which you are reinstalling may be damaged or corrupt.
* This error may also linked to NTFS formatting.

Now the probable solutions of the above mentioned causes are described below:

1. Check out whether the RAM is installed properly or not. This can be verified by following the given steps:
* Shut down your computer.
* Gently remove the memory modules leaving enough RAM to start and turn off your system.
* Restart your computer and if you are getting the same error then remove the second memory module from CPU. Continue this process until you find out the corrupt RAM module.
* Once you obtain the damaged RAM, replace it by an efficiently functioning one. If the issue is resolved then stop the further proceedings.
* Note: RAM should be removed with minimum possible force otherwise the memory module could get damaged during removal/insertion. Don’t perform this operation if you are not well versed with required technical knowledge. It is advised to go for an efficient technician to handle this issue
2. If the problem is not resolved by applying the above procedure then please make sure that the CD from which you are reinstalling is correct. Thoroughly clean the CD and reinstall again.

The above discussion will assist you in solving the given problem. If the issue persists further then get your system checked by highly skilled engineers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://support.microsoft.com/search...LCID=1033&query=fastfat.sys+windows+xp&mode=r
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...illa:en-US:official&q=Fastfat.SYS&btnG=Search
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-24733.html
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1036083619
http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/39153/check-the-knowledge-base-first.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online