1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen. Everyone hates it.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by westonbyrne, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. westonbyrne

westonbyrne Thread Starter

Hey guys. Im new to this site. I have been reading and havn't really found anyone with my exact specific problem, so here is mine.

I am getting a blue screen with this info upon normal boot (i can play music and do lots of stuff through my startup but i cant do everything, so here it is)

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then it says a bunch of stuff and says this...

***Stop: and a bunch of zeros and numbers then this

***NDIS.SYS -ADDRESS BA578190 base at BA54D060 (and some more stuff)
    ***NDIS.SYS -ADDRESS BA553C9E base at BA54D060 (and some more stuff)

I really want to get my pc running again. i can't even burn cds with SONIC. it talks about drive problems. yet windows media burns fine.

I think you guys are doing a grand service. I Someone might be able to help with the info i have given. Thanks.

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG...NDIS.sys is a network 'wrapper', and the IRQL_... bsod is usually a driver issue.

Click start, run, type eventvwr.msc and click ok.
    Check the Application and System Event logs for messages flagged in red that correspond with the crashes.

You can also check C:\Windows\minidump for .dmp files which correspond to the times of the crashes--if you have them, you could zip up a few and attach them to your next post. They may point directly to the driver in question-not everyone hates blue screens. They can provide exact details.

3. westonbyrne

thanks. i will try that right now.

I once thought my pc was a complete gonner. heh

4. westonbyrne

i think i got the right files. i hope these can help in finding a solution to fix my pc. thanks.

Attached Files:

5. The Hound

The Hound

Several references to senfilt.sys (has to do with Dell sound cards)-try uninstalling and updating audio drivers with the latest versions from Dell...

You can search here by model or service tag.

6. westonbyrne

thanks. ill try that.

7. westonbyrne

well, i tried to download the audio drivers, but they wouldnt download. is there any other way to get them?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Two of the faulting "processes", not the actual "module" in which the STOP occurs are for MagicDVDRipper and one for mencoder.exe

These do not seem like processes that would run automatically on startup. If they are you should disable them.

In fact, even better, I would do a system restore to a date before these problems began.

If you want to "clean boot" troubleshoot you can also try that >>

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << for Vista, but applies equally to XP, and better written.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in &#8220;selective&#8221; startup mode &#8211; you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

9. westonbyrne

that didn't work. and i have tried system restore before. one time it worked. then i tried using magic dvd ripper. the program loaded, but as soon as i tried to rip my movie it began a memory dump and went to the same old blue screen. I am contemplating just getting my music and drivers off, and getting a new HDD and putting linux on like i have always wanted. im still going to put linux on, but i was wanting to get my windows section back up out of safe mode so i can play Ragnarok Online. heh.

i would ultimatly love to get my own copy of widows, so i can run that and linux. and i would always have a backup windows backup if needed. but im still going to see what i can do in my current situation.plus, i have learned a lot through this experience, so thanks.

So what else can i do?

10. westonbyrne

oh, and also. should i be able to get online in startup mode. because i cant.its like it doesnt detect my modem, yet it say it is working fine. thanks guys.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you able to startup in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking support?

Safe Mode with networking support should allow you to go online. Safe Mode alone will not.

A "clean boot" should isolate any software related problems. If you are connected through a wireless setup -- then you would probably not connect with a "clean boot" mode since the wireless configuration drivers might not load. You can identify those in the startup processes.

Your modem or network card should be detected in a clean boot.

And it's not clear as to whether you have currently restored the system to a date that precedes this problem.

If you have -- then it is likely hardware relate.

12. westonbyrne

Well, a while back, system restored to the only previous date, and it wouldnt work. a while, i did it again and it worked!. but then i tried ripping a dvd, and it automatically dumped vm, and went to the same blue screen. and now, the system restores dont work. ive been doing stuff in the system defaul thing (or something like that) not in the 3 safe modes. i cant do as much in the safe modes (music and whatnot).

so yeah. i have tried everything given to me so far. but no solid results. But thanks for everything so far. What would you guys do about my pc problem if you were in my shoes? and suggestions welcome. thanks again guys.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Would you post a HijackThis scanlog so I can see what is starting up >>

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

It really seems like this problem is associated with one of your burning programs causing a conflict.

And have you tried the "clean boot" ?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!