1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen followed by a mini dump while using Word 2010.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cjohnson84, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cjohnson84

cjohnson84 Thread Starter

I'm not sure what is going on but when I am working in Word 2010, after a little bit it will go to a blue screen and my computer will completely reboot and my computer refers to the rebooting as a mini dump. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Office and that stopped my problem for a couple months but now its doing it again. Please help!

2. cjohnson84

I have windows 7 if that helps.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Windows produces a minidump whenever it fails with a Blue Screen. Unfortunately they made the default to immediately restart, rather than pause so you can read the messages. You can change that default, but if Windows is working now, you can use a program called BlueScreenView from http://www.nirsoft.net/system_tools.html to view them later from the dump file.
    If you need help interpreting the error, (cough), you can Go Advanced (button below) and attach a zipped copy of the dump file so we can look at it.
    Dumps are found in C:\Windows\Minidump folder

4. cjohnson84

Grrrr, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I downloaded that program you told me about but my minidump folder will not let me view anything. When I click on the folder it says its empty so I right click and click on properties and it has a tab "previous versions" and I make that tab active and double click the last dump and it says I don't have permission to access.:mad:

5. DaveBurnett

All you should need to do is run BlueScreenView. It works out which Windows and where the dumps are and Opens with a list for you to choose from.

It just worked for me :(

6. cjohnson84

Sorry, I deleted that post cause I wasn't sure if I should put that info on here or not but I sent it to a zip file. The info in the zip file came from the control panel under view event logs. I hope you can figure something out and help me.:confused:

Attached Files:

7. cjohnson84

Just an FYI, I can't get it to reboot and do the blue screen today. I had word open for at least an hour and it just wouldn't do it.

8. DaveBurnett

I was actually looking that up when you deleted i t from under me :)
    See what MS say???? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 which is a lot of use.

That implied to me that power disappeared while it was trying to produce the dump.

I would wait till it recurs, but turn off the automatic restart so you at least see it at the time. You can still use BlueScreenView later.

9. cjohnson84

Well none of that really helped me. I'll just have to take it to somebody if it doesn't stop. Thanks for trying though. If you look at that zip file and you have any other ideas about what may be going on please let me know. I will continue checking.

10. DaveBurnett

Turn off the restart. It may be that stopping the real error from being reported.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice