Blue Screen: Hardware Malfunction... yet windows runs fine after restart!?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bacardimus

Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to find any information about an error similar to this online so I'm posting this question here, hope you guys can help.

I recently fried my motherboard over some 512 DDR 2100 that I bought. I think purchased a SOYO Dragon mobo (P4VTP) which was compatable with 2100-3200 ddr ram and any P4 system.

Everything ran fine, (1x 512 ddr 2100, 1x 256 ddr 2100, 1x 256 ddr 2700, P4 1.6ghz) then a few reboots later I got a bluescreen with somethign to the effect of "hardware malfunction contact manufacturer" this happens after it checks my ram and starts to load windows.

Now the odd thing is if I reboot once more it skips this bluescreen completely, loads windows and everything works fine. I've been doing this for a few days while I check for a solution but I'm afraid it's not goign to work forever =\.

I have no idea what could be causing this, software side drivers or something or literally hardware problems. This is a brand - new board as of 2 weeks so I can't return it and I'm hoping since it runs fine after reboot its something connected to the board causing problems.

The only thing I can think of is - excuse my ignorance as I explain this - my ide connection to my cd-rom... on my older boards I've connected my CD-ROM to an ide slot below my PCI-slots... except on this board the slot is | yay big| while the ide cable that is required for my DVD rom is about | yay big | ... so I used IDE-slot number 2 (right to the left of where I connected my harddrives) as my CD-ROM connection (the only port it would fit) under bios everything checks out fine but I can't think of anything else that could be causing this.

Any solutions/ideas would be greatly appreciated and I'll try them out asap and give a response tomorrow.

-Bacardi

the smaller ide slot is for the floppy drive. one problem is the stick of pc 2700 ram - it will only run at the 2100 speed. try taking that stick out and see if you get the same problem

Bacardimus

Okay I'm going to try and take out the other stick of memory in the future and see if I get the same problem.

Is it bad for my system to have the 2700 running even if @ a reduced speed? I really need the extra ram for programming applications and some graphics applications that I use.

If I can get away with a dumbed down 2700 until I can afford another 512 I'd rather go that route.

As I've stated after areboot it runs fine, just curious if you think I'll encounter larger problems in the future with this error.

crjdriver

Some things to do;

Download and run a ram tester. It will run from a bootable floppy that it will make for you. Next download and run the hd mgf’s utility for checking the hd. Both of these will not cost you any money since the utilities are free. If both check out ok, I would look at the ps; cold boot problems that go away on the second boot are often caused by ps problems.

Bacardimus

Genius!

crj I'm willling to bet 20 bucks that it happens to be my power supply.

Quick question now... I'm going to buy one asap but if it takes 2 weeks before I get it installed do you think I might be risking serious damage to my pc? I'm hoping the worse that could happen is that the pc won't boot any longer but is it possible the p could damage other hardware on the mobo?

Appreciate the response and help folks.

crjdriver

Well I did a repair for a guy a few months ago who had a ps blow up; yes it really exploded. New mb, new memory, new video card, new sound card, new hd. The only things we used were the case, keyboard and mouse.

Buy a quality unit from Antec, Enermax, Enlight, or Coolmax. There are other quality mgf's; those are just the ones I use when I do a build. Best bang for the buck will be Enlight; last time I checked newegg had an Enlight 360W for approx $45 with free shipping.

crjdriver

As to whether or not you will have any damage, no one can tell you for sure. Most of the time you would be ok, however there is the story above. He was having cold boot problems also [and I later found out he ran it like that for 6 months]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online