1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen just before shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by rob91919, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob91919

rob91919 Thread Starter

Greetings techguys.com'ers!

I am having issues with my laptop.
    ASUS F5 Entertainment system, about 3 years old.

I get blue screen of death after shutting down. It went through a phase of restarting when I told it to shut down, I put this down to over heating. However the problem persisted and I was conscious of continuously holding down the power button and damaging my C drive. Looking on the internet and found that through control panel stuff I could cancel automatic restart on critical error. This then caused my laptop to go through logging off, shutting down screen, then the monitor darkened then around 50% of the time, JUST before it shuts down I get the blue screen of death:

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Then the techincal information it gives is:

0x00000001 (0xcff30023, 0x000000ff, 0x0000000b, 0xcff30023)

Only things of note recently include the addition of a newer version of Norton (I know) and spybot search and destroy before Norton, however these were added in an attempt to find out if a virus was causing the restarting problem!
    A friend has suggested system restore for about a month ago (This has been about 6/7 weeks now. Talk about putting problems off!)

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

2. tarekch

tarekch

Here is what microsoft says about it.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
    This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
    IRQL at time of reference.
    Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
    Address that referenced memory.
    Resolving the Problem
    For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.

updated and comaptiable drivers are very important when running XP. Check your hardware with the HCL www.microsoft.com/hcl If you hardware is not on the list it does not mean it won't work it just means it hasn't been tested by Microsoft and they won't Guarantee it to be compatible. If it not on the list check the manufacturer's website fo an up to date XP driver, if they don't have one you may be out of luck. This goes for motherboards and the bios too.
    ----------
    what i would also add to this: usually blue screen happens when a driver fails or the corresponding hardware... so make sure all your drivers are up-to-date in the driver manager section.

if you get the blue screen again, find a button called "more details" or something like that, you will get a window that displays alot of information. copy them in here for more specific help

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!