1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen, Lock ups, and Restarts. Oh my!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by malbolsia626, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malbolsia626

malbolsia626 Thread Starter

Hello,

As the thread title probably shows, I've been having some difficulties with my system as of late. At first I thought it might have been some bad memory so I changed it out for 2 completely different sticks of RAM, but the symptoms persist.

Shortly after loading Windows (XP latest patch) I will be going on about my business and the system sometimes freezes, at other times reboots, and often blue screens. I rarely get the chance to catch the blue screen error messages as the system tends to restart immediately afterward. The one that I did manage to see looked a bit like this:

<Average blue screen error message information about a critical error>
    Stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x804fdb2a, 0xb643d8c4)

There might have been more to it but that is what I managed to jot down at the time.

I would really appreciate any insight or help in to this situation.

Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non-system driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

3. malbolsia626

Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and zipped the latest files in the Minidump folder for you and attached them.

Attached Files:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. malbolsia626

I ran the Windows Memory test 3 times total - 2 passes normal and 1 extended - but found nothing that would indicate any irregularities with the memory. I did notice that the memory on my computer would really heat up after running for a while and placed a fan on the tower but I still seem to have some issues with crashes and restarts. In fact, today I had one earlier and while the computer was restarting I noticed that the memory check for the video card seemed to not complete. This and with your earlier comment regarding the minidump files would make me believe that maybe the issue lies else where.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See what CPU temps are reported by Speedfan. Let the computer cool for about an hour then startup and monitor it particularly under CPU stress such as scanning or graphics rendering.

Look for a rise in temp of more than 35 c from a cold boot.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

You might also want to have a gander at the motherboard for leaky capacitors.

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

If your BIOS has a "health" readout -- voltage readings -- record those.

What you see in Speedfan, if it reports anything, may not be accurate.

Also, does the motherboard have an onboard graphics chip that you could rely on for a test?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!