blue screen message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cooklady33

lllll
when I was downloading music from Morpheus screen clicked off and I saw the following:

Fatal excetion OD has occurred @ 0028: C0003ABF in VXD VMM(01) + 00002ABF the current application will be terminated.

Press..... etc

Does recently downloading Morpheus have anything to do with this? I have noticed my puter is a bit slower since. Espically if I am in other sites and downloading.
Any help would be appreciated.
Just a warning I am a techno peasant so basic help please.

Thank you
Julia:)

Morpheus, while an excellent music sharer, is a big resource hog. you should not be downloading anything else while using it. it's even hard to surf sometimes as the pages take forever to load. turn off anything running in the background that you don't need. check out h leboeuf. :p

Max19

Account Disabled
Morpheus is also a great place to get viruses. Are you running anti-virus software? Is it up to date?

If you don't have an anti-virus program, buy one immediately.

Everyone who has it raves on about it but after I downloaded the software, IE6 got funky and I had to repair it. Don't know if the two are linked but it was right after the download completed. Good luck and use your virus detection.

Do you have ad-aware on your computer, spyware could also be slowing your system down, adaware will find any such spyware and remove it .
You can get it here http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/index.html

Interesting article on spyware here : http://www.weathergraphics.com/text/spyware.htm

Morpheus is a total resource hog, I have a slow dial-up and so usually d/l music while I sleep, it's way to slow to surf while you are using it.

As stated , be sure your virus program is up to date , a friend just got hit by a virus from a Morpheus file.

By the way, pay attention to what adaware wants to remove, usually the offending program will not work once the spyware is removed, so it's your choice....Rhett

cooklady33

Can you please tell me what ad- ware is?
How can I benefit from downloading it? I do have InoculateIT virus software? Is this enough? It checks files everytime I boot up.

This morning when I turned on the computer I got the following:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a windows application.
The windows registry or system. ini refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using it's application using it's uninstall or set up program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that appliaction to replace the missing file,
msodisup.vxd
Press any key to continue.

I have no idea why that appeared.
I have not deleted any files recently. Just did a clean up and started using Morpheus. Those are the only new things that have taken place.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am a new user to computers so I need basic computer language.
Julia

Julia,
The information for adaware can be found at their website, http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ , but basicaly, it finds and removes spyware that is on your computer, it is easy to run, and is thought highly of by most people here, it's free, and one of the best of it's kind.

As for the missing file errors, I will let someone else help you with that, while I am confident to mess with my own settings, don't wanna mess with yours, I suspect something in msconfig, but lets get more opinions, this post will get you back to the top of the page, HELP GUYS, :), and good luck with the rest...Rhett

cooklady33

Could someone please look at an earlier post about the message I recieve when booting up? rhett was hoping he could direct me to someone else.

Simple easy help would be much appreciated.
I am able to run as normal but wonder what the message is and how I can rid of it.

Many thanks
Julia:)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi Julia, are you running windows 95?

When you say you cleaned up.....did you delete any items you weren't sure of?

Julia, try this,

Go to run and type in: " msconfig " without the quotes, and hit ok .
On the screen that appears next, make sure selective startup is checked, then click startup at top right.

The screen that appears next shows all the programs that run when you start your computer, my guess is that one of these is either incomplete or corrupted, all you need running in there is:

scanreg , load power profile ( may be two,leave them both), systray, and explorer, I would remove the checks from everything else, then select ok, you will be instructed to reboot, do so, is the error message still there ?

If not, slowly add the checks back till you find the problem program, I have seen this work before, and besides if you are like most of us , there is way to much stuff loading at startup anyway, post back any questions...Rhett ...PS We can work on fixing the program once it is identified. also, here is a reference page for startup programs and what is needed: http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

Hi, I'm new here. Got a virus tonite from Morpheus (thanks to my teenaged son). He's been using MY computer for months to download from Morpheus...and no, we don't have anti-virus software installed...my son says he "usually checks" for viruses before downloading....just not THIS time.
I'm so glad I found this thread....perhaps we can figure out how to fix the problem, plus I now know why my IE browser hasn't been working right the past few months.
NO MORE MORPHEUS in this household!!!!
Thanks everyone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online