1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen, networking, and rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wiz40, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiz40

wiz40 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Latitude cp m233ST laptop with 128 mb RAM running XP. It was running Norton Anti Virus 2007. It may have been mistakenly connected by network when I uninstalled Norton 360 on the desktop for Kaspersky 6.0. When I load a valid XP disc in to reboot, it says File\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe. Yet this XP disc is not the original, installed with Dell drivers, I presume.

In addition the blue screen error is:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or diable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xFC21DDB8, 0xFC9138D0, 0xFC9135CC)

Please help! I also have a floppy. Is there a downloadable boot sequence?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

!28mb Ram is way too low to run XP...256mb is the minimum recommended.

3. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG....

Is this:

a part of the same Blue screen error message as this:

?

4. wiz40

wiz40 Thread Starter

No, they are two different error screens. When I cannot boot from a CD, I get the error code 7 message with 'ntkrnl'...When the system does not recognize the CD, I get the other message. I can jump into the BIOS and F8, but cannot get to Safe Mode with Command Prompt- to run chkdsk.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are not able to boot the computer either in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration I would remove all hardware and PCI cards not required for booting -- including any USB devices.

There is some general coverage of the error type here -- with yours most closely resembling the one for Sound Blaster in terms of error addresses:

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7e

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637&sd=RMVP

6. wiz40

wiz40 Thread Starter

I was able to solve the blue screen XP issue by instead going down to 2000. Yet now I can only network hard wired, and lose IE 5.5 and OE 6. Most of the alternatives (Firefox, gmail and others) probably are better.

With so many people acquiring old company laptops trying to update them on their own, sticking with what works is best. Yet tinkerers like me keep trying to create the perfect system at the original speed with all the new apps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!