1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen & now won't start in safe mode, screen goes black

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by soonergirl99, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soonergirl99

soonergirl99 Thread Starter

I received the following error message when I attempted to restart my computer:

C0000218 Unknown Hard Error

When I restarted after the blue screen it went into a check disk but would not finish the scan.

I have tried to start the computer in safe mode with internet connection and after a few minutes the screen goes black. I've tried to start it using last known configuration and the screen goes black. Everything I try ~ the screen goes black.

Help!!!!

2. soonergirl99

I'm writing from my husband's laptop because my desktop is completely dead. :(

We were out of town for several days and when we returned my desktop was running very slow so I attempted to restart it. It locked up, I pressed/held the power button and when it restarted it attempted to run a disk check. The disk check locked up and I had to press/hold the power button again. When it restarted I got a blue screen ~ stop: C0000218 unknown hard error.

Sometimes when I attempt to restart it I get: checking file system on C:
    file system = NTFS

When I attempt to restart it in safe mode, safe mode with networking or starting in last known good configuration I get . . .

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\appPatch\drvmain.sdb
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\ . . . (various items)

Now it won't start, not even in safe mode. Everything I try ~ I just get a black screen.

** I just tried to restart AGAIN and it ran disk scan, said it had completed disk scan and would restart, the screen went black when it attempted to restart and the screen is still black and it won't restart.

What can I do to get my computer back?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

3. soonergirl99

One suggestion I received was that the computer's boot.ini file was invalid. I went through the process and added the installation to the boot list.

When I attempt to start my computer via boot from the CD the following occurs:

Welcome to Setup window appears. If I hit "Enter" I get the Licensing Agreement page; I hit F8 to accept; I see

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
    -: Partition1 [FAT] 39 mb (31 mb free)
    C: Partition2 [NTFS] 72849 mb (9100 mb free)
    E: Partition3 [FAT32] 3397 mb (526 mb free)
    Unpartitioned space 8 mb

Options: Enter=Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

I don't want to lose the information (especially irreplaceable pictures of my son) that are currently on my hard drive. I wouldn't mind wiping the hard drive (AGAIN) IF I could get the pictures off my hard drive.

What do I do??

Do I repair my computer via the repair mode? When I attempt to do this I get a C:/ prompt and am not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice