1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen O' Death - exception OE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kiravmoon, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiravmoon

kiravmoon Thread Starter

I searched diligently in the archives for an answer to this problem to no avail.

I have an IBM Aptiva, 128.0MB RAM running Win98se. We're having trouble with blue screens and freeze ups, and the computer is acting very finicky. The exact error reads:

An exception OE has occurred at 0028: C000 69F8 in VXD VMM(01) + 000 59F8.
    This was called from 0029: C004BD98 in VXD VFAT(01) + 000 A024
    It may be possible to continue normally.

We started having this problem after upgrading ourselves to a flats-creen monitor. There were some initial troubles getting it to work to satisfaction and in the process of trying to fix that my husband deleted a video driver and reinstalled it (with some trouble I might add, as he wasn't sure exactly what he did when he did it, and had to go into safemode and work his way out-when he did intially- all the settings were really low grade and he had to reinstall it to bring it back to 'normal'), and we believe this may be causing the trouble.

The monitor, in case it matters, is a Sharp LL-173C-B

The driver he messed with he says is: NVidia Number Nine pepper M32
    N Vidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64

It was completely deleted off of the computer, so he downloaded it from elsewhere.

He did some research on it and concluded from that there was a known bug in the driver, and a fix for it known as the VXD Fix. It would be good to know if this will take care of the problem. The other thing is that the only place we found to get the VXD Fix charges 30 bucks for it. If this is what we need, anyone know of a place to get it for free?

I really appreciate the presence of this forum and have used it before to success and donated in thanks. Any help would be received with utmost gratitude.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You can get the nVidia drivers direct from the nVidia site
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/riva_drivers.html

However they are available from the IBM site www.ibm.com and these may be best (assuming that the video card was original with the PC).

I cannot point you to the exact driver as the description of "Aptiva" is akin to saying "it's a Ford", there are many different models.

Just select support and downloads and follow the menus.

The VXD Fix at that price is a scam I believe, its highly unlikely to be of use to you.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you talking about the "VXD Fix" that involves extracting some VXD files from the Windows 98SE CD or from the CAB files in your computer and placing them in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 folders?

If that's the case, you can do that yourself and not pay anyone $30.00 to do it. There has been controversial topics written as to whether that "fix" really does any good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. kiravmoon

kiravmoon Thread Starter

Ah, yes, sorry about that. It's x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3.

I believe he got the download directly from nVidia the first time, I will have to talk to him. We were afraid the fix was a scam or wouldn't be of use, thank you for your help.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Kiwiguy is wanting to know what the model number is to your IBM Aptiva. It should be somewhere on the case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Deodar

Deodar

Hi Kiravmoon,Kiwiguy! & flavallee.I have all NVIDIA Forceware drivers (95/98/ME) on CD
    'AustralianPCAuthority' Oct 04!Dont suppose that's much good to you though,unless you
    can sorce the mag. wherever you are.But the 98SE unofficial Service Pack certainly might be.
    Without going to tiny URL it's; http://www.Softpedia.com/progDownload/Unofficial-Windows-
    SE-Service Pack-Final-Download-9065.html This is a solution forlots of98SE misbehaviour
    including OE's & Blue Screens.No problems at all since installing! Good Luck
    Also,Here:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Unofficial_Windows_98_SE_SP1_20-t23263.html

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Installing that UNOFFICIAL Windows 98SE Service Pack is a hit-or-miss thing because it has worked for some people and it has crashed other people's computers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice