1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen of death and other fatal errors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by DontBleftBhind, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DontBleftBhind

DontBleftBhind Thread Starter

Recently, for about 2 weeks now, I have been repeatedly getting fatal errors while on internet, usually when playing games. You know that blue screen that gives you no choice but to reboot, sometimes with the reset button. I was using IE 5.0 then. So I upgraded to IE 6.0.

It has been getting worse and worse - more frequent. Now, I can hardly be online for a few minutes when I get that IE error message and it says it will report the error and shuts down IE.
    I'm using IE 6.0 have Pentium 3 with 128 MBram and 10 GB hard drive. The last error I received said "MSIMN error, page fault in module URLMON.DLL @ 017f:702b7a49, etc., etc. stack dump..."

I've emptied the cache, and tmp files. Don't know what else to do. I hate to imply that it had something to do with the virus scan I did about a month ago, but I suppose it's possible.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to isolate the problem and fix it, short of taking my cpu into a repairman?

Thanks.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG :)

Did you also empty the History cache?

One of the most common causes of IE errors is the introduction of bundled ad and spyware that comes with many installs. A vital program used to detect and remove these buggers is Ad-Aware from lavasoft. Suggest you go to their site, download and install the program. Also download the most current signature file (reflist.zip), unzip and copy the current reflist to the Ad-aware folder.

When the time comes to run it, configure it to scan all drives on which you have installed programs, a deep registry scan and memory. Once you've checked everything to be removed, click the "make backup" tab and finish. Then reboot and run it again.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net/

http://www.lavasoftusa.net/downloads.html

Be sure to read the FAQ and "getting started" pages there.

It will help also if we have a thorough look at what you have presently loading and running at startup. To do this you must go to start and run msinfo32. Click on "software environment" and "startup programs". Then click edit>select all>edit>copy and paste the copied text in your next reply.

3. DontBleftBhind

Well, here it is. It sure looks like a lot of stuff, huh? Maybe you can make sense out of it.

I'm hesitant on trying the things you suggest without a little more information on the results expected. I will retrieve the files you suggest but will wait to install and run until you can maybe explain a little more about when you say "once you've checked evrything to be removed". How will I know what is ok to be removed, will it be obvious?

Also, what exactly does the "reflist" file do? I'll be back later for more info.

Thanks Rollin'Rog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY STARTUP PROGRAMS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quicken Startup Startup Group C:\QUICKEN2001\QWDLLS.EXE
    Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\ypager.exe
    NSCheck Registry (Per-User Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NSCHECK.EXE /check
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun

TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.ExE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    POINTER Registry (Machine Run) point32.exe
    BookmarkCentral Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\BMCENT~1\BMLauncher.exe
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    QAGENT Registry (Machine Run) C:\QUICKEN2001\QAGENT.EXE
    ProDsl.exe Registry (Machine Run) ProDsl.exe
    ProDsl Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\ProDsl.exe /P
    QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    NAV DefAlert Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE
    Norton Auto-Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe

4. DontBleftBhind

I went to Lavasoft, downloaded Ad-aware, and ran it. It identified about 15 things that I then deleted. Then I rebooted and ran it again.

I then signed onto the internet, went to my favorite game site and it happened again. So that didn't seem to resolve my problem.

Oh and yes, I deleted all my history files first.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Didn't see any obvious problems in the startup related to spy or ad-ware. But we need to try a little "cleanboot" troubleshooting.

From start, run msconfig and click on the startup tab.

Uncheck the following entries to test:

NSChecker.exe
    Quicken Startup Group
    MSMsgs
    BookMarkCentral
    QAgent
    ProDsl (both)
    QuickTime
    LoadQM

You can read about each of those here and decide whether you want to permanently uncheck or renable them after testing...

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

If the errors you are getting are different, please post the different messages.

Also, unless you are running WinME, try this:

>> Go to start, shutdown, restart in MS-DOS mode.

>> At the C:\windows\> prompt enter each line:

smartdrv
    deltree tempor~1
    deltree history
    deltree temp
    exit

For each deltree you will be prompted to confirm. If the target directory is correct (eg, history), press 'y'

smartdrv is required to speed up the process which otherwise could take a long time.

DOS deletions are more thorough than Windows, that is why I am recommending you do it this way.

6. DontBleftBhind

I did all you suggested. Unchecked NSCHecker.exe, Quicken Startup Group, MSMsgs, BookMarkCentral/QAgent, ProDsl (both), QuickTime and LoadQM, then I rebooted to DOS and deleted the trees for tempor~1 history and temp.

I went to my usual game site (pogo) and 5 minutes into play, got the Internet Explorer error, sorry for the inconvenience, the program will close and an error report will be sent to IE.

IE 6.0 doesn't give youthe blue screen of death with an explanation of the error, it just apologizes for the inconvenience.

So now what? Anything else I can do? Should I download IE again and see if that works?

Oh, by the way - it happens when I'm using my AOL account too, using the AOL browser, so it can't just be IE, can it?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't use IE6, but it must give some details on the modules involved in the error. People have posted them here before, unfortunately they can't copy them directly and either post a screenshot or write down the details.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q276550

Try the "click here" for data

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice