1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Of Death and what I did

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stewartb, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stewartb

stewartb Thread Starter

I woke up one morning recently to the BSOD:
    xxx stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82376820, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

not knowing what to do i reinstalled Windows XP SP2 from the original CD i have for this computer (i never installed SP3 since i use a dialup ISP)
    i didnt wipe out the HD so its not a clean install

My 120GB external hard drive which i was relying on to harbor my much needed word files was empty too or perhaps when i tried to view the files i may have deleted or wiped them clean them by reinstalling it on newly reinstalled Windows XP system i set up.

i lost most of my needed microsoft word files, although ive recovered some using a free version of Pandora but not nearly all, perhaps you have some suggestions here?
    i tried Recuva but only file names and not the contents come back with that

im downloading and installing some of the apps and programs i had on this computer
    however when i try to reinstall bitpim version 1.06 or version 1.07 i keep getting the same error msg:
    "this aplication has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" (It didnt!) "See the logfile C:program Files\BitPim\bitpimw.exe.lng.."

Im using
    Windows XP Home SP2 version 2002 dialup with Netzero

Im not much more than a newbie when it comes to computers so please take the time to explain what i need to do to
    1) recover my lost word files (if thats possible for free) and
    2)reinstall bitpim 1.06 or 1.07 versions, i had no problem installing it previously on this computer to download and view my pics with the cable i bought, so i neeed to get rid of the MSVCP71.dll error msg to do so

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

stewartb...

See this...http://forums.techguy.org/games/768432-solved-civilization-4-getting-msvcp71.html. The following steps are taken from that successful resolution to this same problem:

Put the MSVCP71.dll in the c:\windows\System32\ folder. Go to the run box and type:

regsvr32 c:\windows\System32\msvcp71.dll

If that doesn't work try without the quotes:

regsvr32 "c:\windows\System32\msvcp71.dll"

If that doesn't work try downloading and installing msvcr71.dll. This also goes in the c:\windows\system32\ folder. Once you have installed it, go to the run box and type the following:

regvsr c:\windows\system32\msvcr71.dll

If you still have no success, type:

regsvr32 "c:\windows\System32\msvcp71.dll"

3. stewartb

stewartb Thread Starter

Thanks, it has been suggested that my word files are hidden in a folder in Windows Explorer since I didnt do a clean install of Windows XP. If so how would I go about uncovering these files without the need for data recovery programs?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

(You cannot legally download any MS dll's from anywhere except MS, and they don't have many available at all. NEVER download dll's from other sources - they come in different versions and names, being arbitrary, can be the same for vastly different files. Also, dll's are not "installable". They need to be placed manually where they belong. Most dll's cannot be registered with regsvr32, either.)

Take ownership of any folders from earlier accounts that you can't open.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP (Or Vista, 7)

If you have Home Edition of XP, use this to make the Security tab appear without Safe Mode: XP Security Tab Home Edition. You will not need Safe Mode as in the MS directions.

Or use this:

"Take Ownership" Context Menu

[​IMG]

The "missing" dll is a missing runtime for Visual C++ (Most programs that need it will install it when they are installed if it is not present, but not all.).

Download and install it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

5. stewartb

stewartb Thread Starter

Take ownership of any folders from earlier accounts that you can't open.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP (Or Vista, 7)

If you have Home Edition of XP, use this to make the Security tab appear without Safe Mode: XP Security Tab Home Edition. You will not need Safe Mode as in the MS directions.

Or use this:

"Take Ownership" Context

Download and install it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=30679

Is the above used to find my lost microsft folders that im wishing to recover?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice