1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen of death coming out of standby & hibernate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MetalMan390, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MetalMan390

MetalMan390 Thread Starter

I am getting the blue screen of death coming out of hibernate and standby modes on my desktop running xp pro sp3. The error is as follows:

kernel_stack_inpage_error Stop: 0x00000077 (0xc000000e, 0xc000000e, 0x00000000, 0x007a2000)

The hard drive I had windows installed on recently crashed, so I reinstalled windows on another hard drive and after getting everything up and running I started getting the BSOD... never had a problem with my previous install of xp on the other drive.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or need additional info.

2. MetalMan390

Anyone??

3. AtlBo

AtlBo

Do you have a copy of the xp installation disk you can boot to? If so, I recommend the repair option. This option will repair Windows xp but will not remove any of your files or settings. Here is a tutorial on how to repair Windows xp:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

For any problem that can be attributed to a Windows file or process, the repair option is excellent. There is a very good chance it will solve your problem.

NOTE: With an xp repair, you will lose Windows updates, which you will have to reinstall. The best way to do this is to download SP2 and install it and then SP3 and install it. The update interface should then come to life for the rest...

4. MetalMan390

Thanks for the reply. Like everything that ever happens with computers (at least when I use them), one problem leads to another, and then another, and so on. Yes, I do have the windows installation cd. I tried using my windows installation disc to do the repair, but I got this error:

stop: c0000221 unknown hard error
    \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

I googled this and the fix for this is to replace the ntdll.dll file. Should be simple, right? Well, looks like you can't just download a new ntdll.dll file and copy/replace. No, you need to use your windows installation disc! Unfortunately, not only can I not get into recovery due to the error above, but I can't even get the damn cd-rom drive to boot the damn CD now. The cd-rom drive IS set as the first device in the boot priority and it WAS working perfectly fine until today (booting from cd), but now it just won't boot from the cd. You can hear the drive making some type of noise, and pushing eject does nothing. Resetting the computer does nothing. You have to turn off the computer and turn it on again just to eject the cd.

The computer reads the windows install cd just fine with windows running. If I restart the computer with the cd already in the tray and closed, windows will boot right up through and ignore the cd all together (remember that it's set as first boot priority). In order to get the computer to even attempt reading the cd, I have to put the cd in the tray and close it immediately after pressing the restart button. After a few of the manufacturer's screens pass, it goes to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. This is where you can hear the cd drive "cycling", like it's trying to do something but it's not spinning the cd really. It stays on this screen indefinitely doing nothing. Other CDs work fine. This one works fine when windows is already running. The ONE time the windows installation cd DID actually boot, I got that ntdll.dll error code.

First of all, I need to figure out what the hell is going on with my cd-rom drive. Secondly, is there any way to replace the ntdll.dll file WITHOUT using the windows disk?

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

Do you have access to a burner in another PC? If so there are some options for you to make a bootable disk that might (might) work in your PC. Your second hard drive could be stressed/failing, too, so, if you don't have back up copies of your files, you will need to find a way in. Here are some bootable repair disks you can try:

1. Hiren's BootCD...put the CD in then select MiniXP to copy your files onto an external drive.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

list of tools:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

2. Falcon4 Boot CD...Downloads via a torrent, so you will need a torrent client. Otherwise the same as above. This has MiniXP, too. The torrent is down on the below page just above the YouTube video and comments:

http://falconfour.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/falconfours-ultimate-boot-cdusb-4-5/

You can also use the either one of these CDs to run a chkdsk /r, which you should do as soon as possible. Both of these CDs are loaded with tools. If you decide make the disk and if it your PC boots using one of the above, get your files, run a chkdsk /r, and we can go from there to, for example, run a test of the hard drive/RAM memory, etc...

Otherwise, I can't think of anything. Perhaps someone will come along with more experience than I who can help further. The only thing that comes to mind is that if you need to recover your data, but you can't boot to the disk, there's still a chance that a tech shop could get the data for you...

6. MetalMan390

Thanks for the reply. I ended up reinstalling windows, AGAIN, for the 1000th damn time. This fixed all of the other issues, but even after a fresh install of windows, I am still getting the BSOD. What can I do now? If a fresh install of windwos doesn't do the trick, what will?

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

If you are able to use the machine, I recommend running MemTest to test your RAM memory. You can download it or run it from either one of the download .iso (->burn to a CD/DVD) Boot disks I mentioned above. You are working with 2 hard drives, which lowers the likelihood that this is a hard drive problem, so it could very well be associated with your RAM.

I think this apples here:

The KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000077. This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory

Looks like a RAM memory issue...

8. Lance1

Lance1

Can you upload the minidump folder from C:\Windows. Copy it to the desktop and compress it first.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice