Blue Screen of Death every time I try to boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1troubledPC

Hello,
I get a BSoD soon after startup with either:
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA" (0X00000050)
or
"BAD_POOL_CALLER" (0X000000C2)

I get this when trying normal startup, all safe modes, and even when booting from XP CD and trying repair install.

I have not added any new hardware or software.

Things I have tried:
1) removing all RAM, putting in 1 stick at a time, trying all 4
2) running memtest86 from BARTPe (test passed with all 4 sticks installed)
3) running chkdsk (both hard drives passed)
4) removing all hardware that I could
5) putting in a new video card
6) running a virus scan from BARTPe with very recent update
7) exhaustive search of these stop screens online

Right now, I am willing to wipe the harddrive clean and do a clean install, but I only have a "reinstallation CD for Win XP Home, SP2" disk (Dell computer). I dont think this disk will allow a new install. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Frank

You could restore the original "hive" files from the "repair" folder. Unfortunately, even if this allows the system to boot successfully, you will have tor reinstall all subsequently installed programs and updates since your failed reinstall probably wiped out the "restore" archive.

You could do this procedure from BART PE rather than the recovery console.

You may only get as far as stage 1 in this procedure, but it may allow Windows to boot >>

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

>> See also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us
note the warning in this article. But if you have an OEM system and no other choice but a clean install -- try it anyway.

>> Note: you might want to experiment with just restoring the 'Software' hive -- and rebooting. This may limit the damage if successful, just to removing the startups for installed programs -- which would not be altered by your "reinstall".

1troubledPC

Hello. Thanks for the response. However, I get the same BSoD soon after choosing 1 for "Which Windows Installation would you like to log onto?".

1troubledPC

I didn't see your comment about the possibility of following the procedure from BART Pe earlier. I just booted to DOS, followed the simple to understand directions from your link, and it worked beautifully! I can now boot into windows and begin the process of fixing the system. Thanks a million for the excellent link!

Frank

Hey, that's great to hear. Yes BartPE can be a life-saver. You might also want to create a copy of UBCD4Win which uses it and has many other bells and whistles to boot.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

By the way, you can mark a thread "Solved" using the tab at the upper left when all is well and no further help needed.

You're most welcome for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online