1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen of death, Memory Management

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bostonmatt, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bostonmatt

bostonmatt Thread Starter

Ok, so i installed 16 gigs of new ram on my pc last night, i have 6 ram slots, i got 4 new 4 gig cards, put them in, and put 2 of my 6 old 2 gig cards in, they are all 1600's so they should be compatible. last night, everything ran fine, i was gaming, on facebook, everything, no problems, i put the comp to sleep and went to bed. Got up this morning, took it out of sleep and it started crashing, blue screen of death, at first it was (i cant remember, should have wrote it down) an error message about a dump fail of some kind. happened twice, so i went in, took the old ram cards out, just ran the new ones, didnt get the blue screen of death anymore, but the "hourglass" icon wouldnt go away from my mouse. so i did defrag, disk cleanup, command prompt sfc/scannow, cleaned out malware, the hourglass went away. Now when i check my specs in dxdiag or ctrl alt del, it is reading the 16 gigs of ram, i also went to the website downloaded burned and used memtest, it ran and completed with no errors, i did the microsoft memory diagnostic at bootup, same thing, no errors.

So i thought its all fixed, and everythings fine, i played battlefield for about 45 mins, quit, went into the web browser to go to facebook, got the blue screen of death again, this time saying "Memory Management" i rebooted, it hasnt happened again since i started this post, but im confused about what the problem is. If anyone has any insight or advice, i would greatly appreciate it, i also ran windows performance enhancer, and made sure all my drivers are up to date. thank you.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the complete description of the motherboard?

----------------------------------------------------------

That equates to 36 GB.

That now equates to 32 GB.

Why is it reading 16 GB instead of 32 GB?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. bostonmatt

sorry, fixed the post, it said i put in 4 8 gig cards, typed it wrong, put in 4 4gig cards, its reading 16 gigs, ran fine for a couple hours, then i got the blue screen of death again, this time with the message, PFN-list corrupt, any help?

4. Simba7

Simba7

6 slots? Do it uses triple-channel?

If you're using all 6 slots, you might want to bump up your memory voltage a notch or two for stability reasons.

5. bostonmatt

not sure, 3 slots are white 3 are blue, at the moment im only using the 4 new cards i got, still having problems

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I suspect your problem is due to 'windows performance enhancer', what exactly is that ?

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You still haven't provided a description of that motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. bostonmatt

sorry, ive been working, but this is my motherboard, its a gigabyte, system model-X58A-UD3R, BIOS-award modular bios v6.00pg, processor intel i7 950, like i said it has 6 ram slots, all next to eachother, 3 are white, 3 are blue, they are aligned so one white, one blue, ect, so right now i have the 3 new cards all in the blue slots, and the extra new one in one of the white slots, if i need to post more info plz let me know

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice