1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Blue screen of death now just black screen...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bsacco, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Blue screen of death now just black screen...that features a blinking underscore icon....

The horror....the horror....

What have I done?

Anyone have any idea how to get my PC back running?

Cant run TSG Sysinfo obviously. The PC is running Windows XP 32 bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what we are attempting to fix. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, exact video card installed, exact ram installed, exact pw supply installed, etc, etc.
    If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model# If you have a service tag, post that as well.

Open the case and look; nothing beats the Mark I eyeball.

3. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Here is TSG SYS info from an earlier post I made when my PC was working

Dell Optiplex 755

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor:Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238339 MB, Free - 108706 MB; H: Total - 3815437 MB, Free - 240474 MB; I: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 872945 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GM819
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3325 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238339 MB, Free - 108706 MB; H: Total - 3815437 MB, Free - 240474 MB; I: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 872945 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0GM819
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

4. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Dell 755 Optiplex service tag: 7ZJV7G1

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the Dell support site that's assigned only to your Dell OptiPlex 755 Mini Tower - which shipped in May 2008 and came with Windows XP Professional SP2.

I personally own 2 of these computers, and they both came with a Dell L305P series 305W power supply.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do the following;
    1 System OFF, pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Remove any add-in cards such as sound, nic/lan, etc. Most dells have onboard sound, etc so you would not have a card to remove. Leave your video card installed [if you have one] again it is most likely onboard video
    3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc
    4 Reseat atx and aux pw connectors ie pull them out and reinsert the connector making sure it is fully seated
    5 Now pw ON and see if you get a display. If you do, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If you do not get a display, you will need to swap parts with known good units; ie pw supply, mb, ram, etc.

FWIW when swapping parts, I would start with the pw supply. It is the easiest thing to check and one of the more likely parts to fail. Note when testing, you do not have to fully install the test unit. Simply connect atx and aux pw. Hit the ON button and see if the board will complete POST.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW did you change any hardware, update a bios, update drivers, or anything else that may have contributed to this issue?

8. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Well, hardware changes? Not at the moment it went to the blue screen of death....but here's what I've changed hardware-wise on the PC

I installed a SSD and an addition 1TB SATA hard drive. I put the OS and programs on the SSD and I put my data on the SATA drive.

That's about it. No other hardware changes.

9. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Not sure If I'm headed for trouble trying to run XP OS on this machine moving forward? Or should I swith to Windows 7?

10. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

sorry, but what is atx and aux pw connectors?

11. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

duhhhh just googled it...got it now...

12. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

OK, followed instructions and got it started again.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So it is now working? If so, what hardware was defective or was it just the reseating of pw connectors?

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows 7 runs just fine in the Dell OptiPlex 755 Mini Tower.

Both of mine came refurbished with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

--------------------------------------------------------

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In addition to the above, win xp does not support TRIM for ssd drives. You either have to attempt to run a utility for garbage collection OR you can image the drive and secure erase the ssd then restore the image. In any case, you will not get the benefits of wear leveling running xp. Win 7 supports TRIM so I would really think about clean installing win7.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice