1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Of Death On Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ginosko, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

A friend wanted me to look at her laptop to find out what's causing the blue screens. As I was using it earlier a blue screen popped up, but it was too fast to read(is there any way to get a screenshot of the screen?). Right now the computer is in safe mode and i'm running a virus scan(i'm not trying to find a virus, just trying to see if it's heating or a memory problem). I think it might be a driver conflict or something. Any ideas or wisdom to try out and see if I can get this working in normal mode?

Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

When do you get the blue screen and what happens afterwards? Does the laptop freeze or reboot?

3. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

Sorry for the long wait, i've been working quite a bit lately. It reboots right afterward. I'm thinking that it's a driver problem, safe mode worked fine. My friend said that she would use it long enough to check her email and it would freeze and reboot twice before she could use it for a little while.
    Hope that helps

4. flynstone

flynstone

Hit Windows Key + Pause/Break key together then Advanced tab. Go down to StartUp and Recovery hit the Settings button and untick "Automatically Restart".

OR

Hit Pause/Break key when you see the BSOD - you might capture it that way.

Write down the details (or take digicam picture) and post here.

5. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

I did what you said and now I just have to wait for the laptop to get the error then I'll post it . Thanks for the help

6. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

The BSOD

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.harware-update.com for an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011,0x00000007,0xF80D69B0,0x0100000E)

7. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

It looks like i might have to flash the bios(which i have never done before). I found the latest bios at the Toshiba website, could this be a memory problem or just bios? If it's the bios i think i'll let her take it to get it fixed.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You might try entering the BIOS setup (watch the first data on the screen to see which key to press) and look for an option to reload the setup defaults. It could be due to corruption; there will also be a battery associated with the preservation of data -- and if the laptop is more than a few years old, this may need replacing. Doing this on a laptop requires more technical experience than doing so on a desktop.

If the problem appeared out of nowhere -- one of these two scenarios seems most likely.

ref: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256841&sd=RMVP

9. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

I tried setting the bios to default, and when it went to standby the computer wouldn't come out of it. Right now thats my litimus test, if it doesn't come out of standby i assume the problem is not fixed. The light is yellow and flashing and when i press the power button if goes blue but the screen is still black.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you view the System Devices in the Device Manager? Are there any issues there, especially for ACPI related items? If there are you could try removing them and letting Windows redetect. If prompted for an install from location, direct it to c:\windows\INF

11. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

The only errors in the device manager are with "non plug and play devices" or whatever its called.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In the Device Manager, under "Computer", does it say "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC?

Can you go into and come out of Standby by trying a "diagnostic" boot using msconfig? Start > Run: msconfig > select "diagnostic" boot on the general page. Before rebooting in this configuration, check the startup tab and note what items you may have unchecked -- this may need to be manually reconfigured afterwards. Select "normal startup" to return to loading all services and startups

If so, try using "clean boot" troubleshooting to isolate the application or process causing the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

13. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

I tried the diagnostic boot and it still hung on standby. It's really odd, the light blinks yellow and when i press it for it to come out of standby the light turns blue and thats it. BTW it does say ACPI for computer in the device manager.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's clarify the problem -- in diagnostic boot it booted "normally" but no blue screen?

The standby issue is almost certainly BIOS related, and your only option there is an upgrade. There are big risks here, and no guarantees.

However if there are "non standby" issues in "normal" mode, not present in the "diagnostic" mode, then there are 3rd party conflicts.

Clean boot analysis is the way to isolate those.

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).

In Safe Mode, run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

15. Ginosko

Ginosko Thread Starter

The BSOD occurs almost at random, so the way that i've figured out to see if everythings working as it should was to try standby. The computer booted fine. I believe she still has the a warranty on this computer. If it has to do with the bios i'd feel much better having it done under warranty, as i have no experience with flashing the bios and such. On a side note it appears that she has the latest bios available from toshibas website. Thanks for all your help

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice