1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen of death... please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fudan, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fudan

Fudan Thread Starter

Hey guys. Just the other day the computer crashed on my dad... we've got a Dell 4500, Windows XP. The good ol' blue screen came up, and every time we restart it comes up. I can't even start the computer in safe mode, or from the "Last Known Good Configuration".

The message says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" I tried searching the Microsoft site... says it's often related to memory... I don't see why that'd be a problem, We only changed the memory ONCE and it was at least 3 years ago. I haven't installed any new hardware in the last few days either.

It says it was most likely cause by "Mup.sys" What's that?

Here's the list of numbers in the "technical information area"

0X00000050, 0X90909090, 0X00000000, 0XF838Ba7f, 0x00000000

Any ideas? I wish I could at least start it in safe mode and try to figure something out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ray

2. Hawk1

Hawk1

3. Fudan

Fudan Thread Starter

Thank you... that was helpful, but there's one big problem. I can't do anything to fix the problem because I can't start the computer, not even in safe mode or from the last known good configuration. how can I get it to start up just so I can work on it?

4. Fudan

Fudan Thread Starter

Does anyone have any idea why I can't start in safe mode? And how I can make it do so? I really don't knwo what to do

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..if you have your Xp install Cd..
    Boot from Cd..when prompted press R..
    Choose windows installation (typically by pressing [1]
    Press Return..when prompted..type chkdsk /r
    Press return..windows will fix errors..
    Type exit..and press Return..
    Let us know if that works..

6. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

7. rushton

rushton

Doesn`t Dell have a special partition especially for problems like this ? I thought that as the computer was booting up press F10 ? to access which gives you the choice to do a re-install

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice