1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen of Death - Stop Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Holly3278, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I have been getting the notorious blue screen of death lately. It is a stop error. I have no idea how to prevent my computer from hanging like this. It sometimes happens randomly but it also happens when I play Microsoft's Age of Empires III with the expansion. Can anyone please help me because I really don't want to reinstall Windows unless I absolutely have to. :confused:

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Unfortunately this did not help me. I need a free tool to help me find which of my drivers are out of date. Do you have any suggestions?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Could be your Video Card driver....checked for updates for it.....

5. 24giovanni

24giovanni Banned

What are the numbers after the stop error?

6. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I will let you know the next time I get the stop error.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

8. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I just played the game the other day and did not get the stop error. I will continue to play the game from time to time and will report any errors that I get.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice