Blue Screen Of Death - Sudden Slowdown - Different Error every time

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tiaw

Hi,

I'm new to these forums and my knowledge of computers isn't substantial.

I've been trying all day to find a solution to this problem that has suddenly plagued my laptop.
(it's so bad i am having to use a pc to reach this forum)

I have noticed a dramatic slowdown in the every day running of my laptop.
Specs are: 256MB Ram, Time, Windows XP, 40gb HD, 2600+ athlon processor.

Suddenly it took literally 10 minutes to start up and even opening a program or internet page would start and stop over a long period of time.

Then when it slowed down completely, the infamous blue error screen appeared.

At first it described the error as "Kernels"

After this it came up with s3gnb.dll (which is a component of my graphics card - prosavage DDR)
Since then it's also come up with atapi.sys as the problem.

This happens everytime i start up the computer.

I've also noticed when starting up, for a brief second it says "invalid boot.ini file". If this has anything to do with it?

I have literally not installed any new software or hardware that would have caused this problem to suddenly manifest. Nor have i tampered with the computer in any unconventional way.

Please help, i will try to provide any extra details if needed. As you can appreciate though, right now i am being compounded with different blue error screens all saying something different.

I honestly do not know why this would suddenly occur, i obviously fear loosing the functionaility of my laptop long term.

Please help, and apologies if i have posted in the wrong forum or gone against etiquette i am unaware of.

Could be Heat problem, RAM or HDD failure. you may want to look at testing them.

tiaw

How would i test these things? As i say, my knowledge of computers isnt that much.

Heat: is the latop hot when you use it, example the bottom gets very warm to touch

RAM: download Memtest86, http://www.memtest86.com/ read the windows installtion and extraction.

HDD: find out what brand it is. You can download Aida32 for this purpose; http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html unzip ot to its own folder, then run the app.
Click Storage, then you harddrive, it will ist the manufacturers name, and a link to their site where you can find a diagnostic tool.

Or you can search google for hardrive manufacturers,then go to the site that matches your drive.
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=hard+drives&meta=

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts