Blue screen of death to my computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helipilot1

My other computer wants me to allow it to perform a chkdsk when it is booting up. It gets stuck on "correcting error in index $I130 for file 3286". What the heck does this mean and how do I fix it?

Computer Dell Dimension 4550
Windows xp home
2.0 ghz

Please help

Is there a path given to that? I don't know how to figure out what it is.

Are you able to start in Safe Mode with the Blue Screen error?

If not, post the full error parameters and driver file if mentioned.

If so,

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Sometimes Windows is not able to write the debug files to the disk when you blue screen.

This might indicate a problem with the disk itself or perhaps faulty ram.

When you get the blue screen write down the "bugcheck" data -- see the attachment for what I mean.

I think your chkdsk error is occuring in an uninstall file for an MS update -- but I can't tell which one.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online