1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue screen of death unable to boot in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sasinspain, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sasinspain

sasinspain Thread Starter

I have a Sony VGC VA1 running Windows XP Pro Media. When I switch on I get the blue screen saying a problem has been detected. Various error codes beginning 0x000, but these seem to change. Unable to start in safe mode and unable to recover from recovery discs. System tries and recognises the recovery disc, but ends up back at the blue screen. Please has anyone any ideas what I can try next. If so would be eternally grateful, but please bear in mind I am a complete beginner. Many thanks in advance

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome.
    Do you have the original Install Cd?
    The recovery disks [should they load] will take it back to factory settings and all data etc will be lost.

Boot from the Xp install Cd...when prompted press [R]
    Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
    When prompted for password.
    Press Enter.
    Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
    When fininshed.
    Type Exit
    And press Enter.

If no joy - repeat the above and type
    chkdsk /f

Blue screens can be cause by..
    New hardware - software installed.
    Device driver - Video etc - corrupted - faulty.
    Faulty Ram - overheating - dying hard drive etc.

3. sasinspain

Hi many thanks for reply.
    Dont have xp installation disc as it came preloaded, all I have is the recovery discs.
    Dont mind if I wipe everything as long as I can get the pc up and running.

4. blues_harp28

If your Sony VGC VA1 has a hidden recovery partition.
    Tapping F10 at boot up, should take you to the recovery console.
    Choose restore Drive C:

As said above - all data will be lost.
    Let us know if that works for you.

5. sasinspain

Hi, thanks for the trouble you're taking. No didn't work. F10 took me to recovery utility as stated and tried to restore Drive C, it got to about 20% of recovery and then came up with the error "Failed to read image file because a stream reading error occurred.
    From there I ended up at the Blue Screen again with wink32.ksy and page fault in non paged area listed as problems
    Tried three times but same problem at the 20% recovery mark.

6. blues_harp28

If you can borrow a XP Pro Media Cd - you could try the Chkdsk shown above - or a Repair Install.
    That may fix the wink32.ksy and page fault in non paged area errors.

The Cd could not be used to reinstall Xp - as that would obviously be illegal.

7. sasinspain

Yes, will try that, must be someone here who has the xp pro media.
    thanks again, will let u know if it works.

8. blues_harp28

Ok keep us updated and good luck.

9. sasinspain

Hi sorry about this. Nobody here has xp media, but all have xp or xp pro. Can I
    load xp pro and then get a validation key from microsoft, or am I creating more
    problems.
    Thanks again

10. blues_harp28

Only one Cd can be used to load one operating system, one the one Pc.
    The validation key - will not be recognized by Microsoft and you will have a Pc that cannot be used.
    And it will be an illegal install of Xp.

You may well have to buy a new Xp Cd - and install a new version of Xp - Xp Pro Media - Xp Pro etc.

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's worse than that as i found to my cost eth other day when trying to run a Repair install using my Pro VLK disk. The system was so screwed I hadn't ecven noticed it was MCE but the repair went fine, accepted the key for my CDbut rejected the key from the case label which should have been a warning signal I suppose.

When it fired up for the first time, it simply said the activation failed (never normally needs one) because the product wasn't the same, the only option being to shutdown and I ended up having to reinstall completely. MCE is in a world of its own and needs two CDs to run the repair.

12. sasinspain

Yes, understand. Just wanted to see if I could get the system up and running befor buying new xp and then discovering I can't load that either because of some hardware related problem.

13. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I always use a Linux LiveCXD to test hardwae because it doesn't impact on your hard disk in any way. Lots of versions run in that mode and you can frequently find them on the cover of computing magazines but if you want a dwecent on, try PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com.

14. sasinspain

Many thanks, will try but have just turned the pc on and now have a message saying no operating system. Perhaps I should just give up.

15. sasinspain

Got a bit mixed up with Linux so downloaded memtest and cdburn from microsoft.
    Booted with the cd and thus far have found two memory failures, i think. Anyway seems definately hardware but has anyone any idea how to get the back off a Sony vgc va1. Plastic cover no probs, but then hit lots of metal. Sony no help, but will apparently let me buy the xp pro media discs needed for reinstall if I can get the pc apart to replace memory and or motherboard. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice