1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH when installing Windows Media Player 11

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by GFWTD, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GFWTD

GFWTD Thread Starter

Everytime I try to install WMP 11 I get the blue screen of death. Here is the exact sequence of events:

*Preliminary/automatic pre-installation goes fine
    *I'm asked to chose 'express' or custom set-up
    *After choosing (I've tried both ways), WMP 11 continues installing
    *Near the end of set-up/installation, the WMP 11 player opens and, within seconds, I get the blue screen of death

In pertinent part, the blue screen (pic showing full message attached)reads as follows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Then, after a bunch of boilerplate about starting in safe mode, there is the following language:

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFF458000, 0x00000000, 0x804e7418, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I run Windows XP on an IBM T42 laptop. I don't run any crazy programs on my computer (just Adobe, iTunes, etc.) Thanks in advance for the help...

Attached Files:

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

uninstall itunes, then reinstall wmp11 then itunes... :)

3. GFWTD

GFWTD Thread Starter

that didn't work. any other ideas?

thanks for the help...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice