Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Screen of DEATH

685 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Milkchoc 
#1 ·
Ok, here's a problem I've been dealing with for 2 years...that's when i first built this my machine....aka, Frankenstein. When I boot up, everything is going fine until I get to the "network password" screen. Sometimes things go along smoothly...I hit enter, and things go just fine. Other times, old Frankenstein just freezes, and a black line appears at the top of the screen. If I hit enter at that point, I get the blue screen of death with the following message: " A Fatal Exception OD has occurred at 0028: 00000086. The current application will be terminated. hit any key to continue or cont/alt/delete etc. etc." When I hit any key, nothing happens, but if I do the control/alt/delete twice, It reboots. Sometimes it will run fine, others, I get the same failure. The problem is, the hanging does not happen all the time. I can go many days with no problem, then suddenly it starts again. I am running windows 98 on a amd 1000mz with a abit board. I am about to build a new machine, but I would love to solve this problem, as I hate to be outwitted by a bunch of circuits! Help me out!

#2 ·
The first thing that I would do is boot up and go into Windows in 'Safe Mode'. From there....do a search for *.PWL (password list) files. When found, simply delete these files and reboot. These are just windows passwords...so don't worry about tossing them in the crapper...they'll be re-created the next time that you log in and are prompted for a password (which you'll need to confirm since it's a 'new' password).

The next thing to try would be once again...go into 'safe mode' and check in 'device mangler' for instances of duplicate devices. **Even if none of the tell-tale conflict indicators are showing in d-mangler...still go down the list...device by device(clicking on the + sign next to each one) and remove all duplicate instances...then of course...reboot..and reinstall drivers as prompted.

If none of these get you anywhere...lemme' know and we'll take the next step(s)...:cool:

#3 ·
Ok, I deleted the *.pwl files and searched my device mangler for dups.....no dups found. I rebooted without a hitch, but then again, as I said, the problem is not a consistant one. Next week, I may have that blue screen again. Opps, I left out a small detail in that error....it should read: A fatal exception OD has occurred at 0028: 00000086 VxD etc., etc. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.