1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BenWasTaken, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenWasTaken

BenWasTaken Thread Starter

Sorry, this is long. :(

Hello all, this is not the first time I've had to post here about my problems (I have many as you can tell) but they always get solved so I will give this one a go.

Here's the story.

I have Windows XP Home running on a hp pavilion zt1155 laptop. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (about 10 months ago) I used to always get blue screens (plural) of death. They eventually went away and everything was working fine for about 6 months. Nothing at all was wrong with my computer but I decided to reinstall Windows just to clear up some space and start fresh (I love fresh). After the reinstall I got all my necessary software setup and was just about to finish installing the Java SDK (software development kit (irrelevant though)) when all of a sudden I get the quick BSoD (couldn't read what it said) and my comp restarted. As soon as it was about to boot into Windows I got the perma blue screen (forgot what it said) so I turned off the computer and turned it back on and got the same blue screen before Windows. I decided I would give it one more go, and what do you know it worked. But that's not all. After a little bit of trying to figure out what happened I got another one (BSoD). This time no matter how many restarts I did I couldn't get back into Windows so I decided I would reinstalled Windows (again). It all worked out until I started to install stuff again (a couple hours after reformatting). Boom BSoD. "Crap" I thought, so I reinstalled LosedowsXP again (3rd time!). This time after I was in the XP setup screen (before even into Windows) right after I got done naming my comp I got the BSoD (ahh!) So I go to reinstall again!! (4th time) This time it wouldn't even go into the Windows setup after installing. It would just keep restarting and restarting. I thought that was the end of the pc. But no, I reinstalled again (5th time) and I got in. So here I am now posting here after 5 clean Windows installs. I did a windows diag check with e-diagtools provided with the recovery cd and it came back with this exact message:

So I'm assuming the IDE hard disk drive is the same as HDD (don't know what IDE means other than "Integrated Development Environment" (but I don't think that's it though))

So if this is in fact the HDD failing is there a way I can fix this without replacing it? I just recently (6 months ago) replaced my 20 gb Hdd (it was fried) with a new 40 gb HDD. So this hdd is practically brand new, I don't see how it could be failing on me already.

Thanks for reading this long story. Sorry I couldn't set it up in paragraph form to make it easier.

2. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle

when you reformat are you deleteing the partition and reformatting it before you reinstall windows? If you dont do that then old files will still be on your HDD (including bad files). If you havent done that there may be bad files still on the HDD. TRy that and see if it works. IF you already have done that I dont know wat to tell u except :(

3. BenWasTaken

BenWasTaken Thread Starter

Whenever I reinstall I just use the recovery disks that came with the laptop. Is there anyway to tell if it formats before it reinstalls?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice