1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brum, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brum

Brum Thread Starter

I set up a computer for a friend around 2 months ago. It gave me no problems whatsoever until suddenly. Before i get into any major details, I would like to state that the computer posts, and i can easily get into the bios which eleminates several hardware issues.

The computer wont load windows though, before it boots it gives me the option to start in safe mode. No matter what option I try it either freezes and gives me a black screen, or it says that a system32 file could not be loaded. My first thought was that it was the hard drive. I thought i would run the windows XP disc, load the windows recovery consul and then run Check Disc. Unfortunately I could not even do that. Whenever I try to load the windows XP disc i get past where it asks to hit F6 if i want to load a RAID or SCSI controller and then freezes (on the blue screen) when it says, "Setup is loading files (Windows Executive)..."

I had an extra Hard drive that i know works so i tried that hard drive instead, but i still get the same problem. (only it does not try to load windows.) I also used a different copy of windows XP and it still freezes.

2. Brum

Brum Thread Starter

Sorry i forgot to leave my computer specs:

MOBO: FOXCONN A690GM2MA-8KRS2H
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+ 2.2Ghz AM2
    MEM: 2x512Mb Corsair Twin2x1024-6400
    HDD: Western Digital 7k 8mb SATA2 WD1600JS

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. Brum

Brum Thread Starter

Thank you for the help Rich-M, but when I load the windows XP disc it freezes where it says "Setup is loading files (Windows Executive)..."

The computer apperently started this problem after a storm so a power surge could be a factor. I have never seen a powersurge harm anything without killing the power supply though. The powersupply seems to work fine.

I also dont know if this has anything to do with it, but sometimes when it restarts the computer won't post. i have to shut it down with the power button, wait a little while, and then start the computer back up in order for it to post sometimes. It will do this if i use the reset button, or if the computer just tries to reboot on its own. Only does it about half the time though.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out. Hopefully i can tackle this problem yet.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

If the cd drive is good and I would try another one, and the XP disk is good and there I would also try another one, then the motherboard isn't so you would have your answer. The very fact that it won't postsome of the time suggests the psu is suspect and so is the board.

6. Brum

Brum Thread Starter

I havent tried a different power supply yet, I will give that a shot. The exact error i get when i try to boot windows from the hard drive is

"windows could not start becuase the file is missing or corrupt: system32\drivers\pci.sys"

I also just now recieved an error when loading the XP instalation disc instead of it freezing. it says "error code 7". I looked on microsofts website and they say to reset the bios (which i did) or it is being caused by faulty RAM. I have tried taking out one stick and then the other. the only other step i can take is replace both sticks with a stick that i know works.

7. Brum

Brum Thread Starter

Update: I tried a new power supply. It fixed the problem of not restarting. It now boots on command. The new power supply did not help it to boot windows though. windows still cannot boot. I get the same error messages.

The RAM is also not the problem. I tried a stick of A-DATA ram and still receive the same error messages. I also tried the corsair memory that was thought to be the problem in a different system and that computer booted up normally.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice