1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Of Death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lj_88, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lj_88

lj_88 Thread Starter

I am very certain that my computer does not have a virus or anything like that however when i turned my computer on after a power cut it would not load. I would be prompted to select safe mode, safe mode networking, safe mode command prompt, last known configuration, start windows normally. But when any of these are selected a blue screen of death appears for around 1/2 a second and then the computer restarts again!
    However i am not very good with computers and would need extensive help in solving this problem if the solution is not simple.

Many Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have an XP Cd?

3. lj_88

lj_88 Thread Starter

No i seem to have misplaced my cd is there any way i can fix it without the cd

4. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

this was after a power outage? and if so was it plugged into a surge protector?

5. lj_88

lj_88 Thread Starter

Yes it was plugged into a surge protector. I do not think that the problem is due to the power outage.

6. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

If you can get ahold of another copy of your operating system and reformat the hard drive it may fix the problem. Also pulling the silver coin size battery on the motherboard for a couple minutes and resetting the bios may also work. However, I am geussing that the power outage trashed your motherboard and that you may need a new one.

7. lj_88

lj_88 Thread Starter

If i reformatted the hard drive would i lose all the data on the hard drive?

8. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

yes that is a absolute last resort

9. nmkyourface

nmkyourface

try resetting bios

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can make enough of an XP CD to run the Recovery Console by burning this XP Recovery Console CD image to CD. Boot from the CD.

Chances are that the power outage is, of course, responsible for your problem. There may have been data loss due to improper shutdown, or the disk surface may have been damaged by the surge.

After booting from the CD you created, follow the prompts and press "R" for "repair". Type your admin password when requested. From the prompt, type:

map

This will tell you what drive letters have been assigned to which partitions. Then you can run chkdsk X: /r on your system partition (where X: is the drive letter assigned to your system patition, usually C:).

When done, type:

exit

Remove the CD and try booting.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a floppy drive, you can run chkdsk on your drives using this NTFS Disk Check Floppy Image.
    Download the file, put a floppy in your drive, run the program to create the bootable floppy, and boot the machine from the floppy you made.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice