1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cyberguy, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyberguy

cyberguy Thread Starter

when i run windows media player 7.1, after a few seconds of starting an audio file everything locks up, the mp3 starts to skip then a blue screen will appear. i've had a variety of blue screens:

"Fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:071CC958"

"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:C02A1CD4 in VXD VWIN32(05)+000007FC. The current application will be terminated.

"A fatal exception OB has occurred at 015F:000002E1. The current application will be terminated."

if anyone knows what these blue screens mean and can help remedy this problem i would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:<XXXXXXXX> in Vxd Vmwaudio (01)
    MMSYSTEM257 Invalid MCI device ID. Use the ID returned when opening the MCI device.
    MMSYSTEM296 The file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. The file may be corrupt, or not in the correct format.
    Problems Using Media Player to Play .avi Files Q191195 (IBM Aptiva 2168-A92 or Acer computer with earlier model IBM Mwave sound card drivers)
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q191195

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Fatal Exception 0E in VXD VWIN32(01)

CAUSE
    The Hidden Refresh option in your computer's CMOS settings is enabled. When this option is enabled, it can cause the symptoms listed above.

RESOLUTION
    To correct this problem, disable the Hidden Refresh option in your computer's CMOS settings. For information about how to modify settings in your computer's CMOS settings, please contact the computer's manufacturer.

I HOPE IT HELPS

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does this error occur only with CD-Rom usage or with audio files also on the hard drive?

6. cyberguy

cyberguy Thread Starter

it happens with both.:(

7. cyberguy

cyberguy Thread Starter

speak in laymans terms, i don't know how to access CMOS, i don't even have any way of contacting the manufacturer of the machine and if i wanted to surf around on microsoft website i wouldn't have posted this info. what i need is a concise step by step solution to this problem.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

vwin32 errors are among the most enigmatic in windows. There is little formal guidance in troubleshooting them and they seemingly occur in a variety of different circumstances and applications. It is, as I understand it, a 32bit device driver which forms an interface with 16bit processes.

I know that's not much help. Your best bet for troubleshooting it is to look for the cause in a confict of some kind. Try eliminating as many background applications as possible. Run msconfig and try bypassing your entire startup tab for a test. If the error doesn't occur then, you can selectively enable, or disable files to isolate it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q192926

9. Raphael

Raphael

I've just finished with a similar problem. I downloaded Direct X, installed a new video card, and reinstalled Windows Media Player.
    At that point it started working.

10. cyberguy

cyberguy Thread Starter

How does one go about obtaining and installing directx? Is it necessary in every case to replace the video card?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

12. Raphael

Raphael

I can't say definitively that without a new video card you will not get your computer to work, all I can advise is that this solution worked for me.

13. cyberguy

cyberguy Thread Starter

I noticed a yellow exclaimation mark beside my Wave Device for Voice Modem. Will this present a problem? If so what should I do?:confused:

14. Raphael

Raphael

Check the properties if you have any irq conflicts. If you don't, delete the item, and see how Windows will reinstall it. Make sure that you have the driver for it, you might just need it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice