1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brokenwindows, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brokenwindows

brokenwindows Thread Starter

Hi everyone, new member long time miserable pc user:eek:

I have tried to do some searches but most of what is on here is a little over my head so please start slow. I am a mechanic and have dabbled in computers but have virtually no experience with the software side of this, yet!

its a dell dimension 4600 pentium 4 1.93 GB of RAM My friend helped me with the RAM upgrade. not sure what else you need. windows xp

my problem is it goes to the blue screen and I have had a few different errors, mostly its
    Page fault in a non paged area.

also get
    memory management
    irql (?)not less than or equal to - sorry don't remember exactly on this one
    and a few others.

I have checked the fans inside and it was dirty and slow now it much faster but not fixed
    I have run in safe mode and it still quits, from the searches it seems like a driver but I don't know how to post the dump or where to find it.

seems like anytime it has a bit of work to do it quits. just turning it on and leaving it- it will run fine.

tried to do a windows memory check and it was failing all the tests but it shut down before it finished.

this has taken about 5 attempts just to setup an account and post this- aarrrrghhhh!

any help is greatly appreciated- I am just to the point where it is rediculous to keep taking it in to be fixed, so I am very determined to do it myself. thanks in advance. TOM

2. staticbyte

staticbyte

try taking out one of the memory modules , see if it stabalizes. if its failing the memory test then memory is a good starting point i guess.

3. brokenwindows

is that the RAM sticks? take one of those out?

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Here are the notes I have on "IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal"

Most common causes:
    1. Bad Memory
    2. Drivers incompatible with Windows
    3. Digitally unsigned drivers
    4: Seems to happen most often with gamers, indicating possible hardware/driver problems.

In your case and since you indicate this happened in proximity to memory change, I would suspect defective or incompatible memory.

5. staticbyte

staticbyte

^^ :)

try removing the stick you most recently put in the computer.
    think of any drivers you may have updated recently

how longs this been occuring?

6. brokenwindows

the memory was upgraded more than 6 months ago, I was trying to give what little info I have on my pc. I have upgraded firefox and also before that installed mcAfee to rid some pesky trojans. all was working well except an issue with the mcaffee and tech support had me remove and install, made it better but not perfect. some active x thing with scripts and not finding a scripting dictionary. then firefox sent me a upgrade and a few days after things started going haywire. have installed and uninstalled and installed over a few times but not combination is working. not saying its not the ram just saying it was fine

7. staticbyte

staticbyte

ah trojans

umm you sure you got rid of them?
    check for processes that maybe eating up your memory.

sounds like you should consider a fresh install of windows.
    just my opinion, but trojans do tend to screw things up

8. brokenwindows

how do you tell? wouldn't installing the mcaffee fix that? I had a big red screen take over my desktop with the biohazard symbol on it and it kept trying to get me to get my computer virus checked with this company and it would pop up. that is all gone, and has been working fine. the issue with mcaffe is that it doesn't register my updates. i get a prompt that updates are installed and register them now or later, if i hit now it never does.

what and how do I check this stuff, remember I am a newbie. I am not new to this " I didn't give you all the information" but where to start? i've had many problems over many years, I am giving you what seems to be the most recent and pertinent stuff. You would know better than I about virus removal. just tell me what to do so I can get started. thanks for being patient.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The short answer: "No"

Most likely the trojan or its after-effects are blocking McAfee updates.

10. brokenwindows

ok I can see that, so how do you tell for sure? how do I find it and kill it? we'll get to what is the best way to protect myself later. for now I just want to be able to use the pc without having to restart it every 2 minutes.

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

12. jazz3000

jazz3000

You must be running Dell with trial versions of programs you've left in your system. I've seen your red screen more than once. You need to clean your system out. Restore it to factory status and anything other than basics -the xp - and it's basic programs needs to be removed. Don't open any trial versions within the system but head straight for ADD REMOVE and delete the whole lot of them. Some of the Dell programming can appear to be a trojan or Virus when in reality it's just the CD running the System.
    Clean it up- Delete the garbage Dell offers for limited time and see if that clears it up.
    Now this is just my opinion. Let us know...Jazz

13. brokenwindows

thankyou Alex, I have such issues, I only worry about losing my kids pictures, the rest eh!
    I have a notebook external drive- should I try to move all the files over there? again being a noob- I just am not sure the easiest way or best way to do that. windows explorer and drag and drop?

Jazz- I have never been able in the years I have had this to remove the dell crap from this pc. I wish I could. I would pay to have it removed!!!

14. jazz3000

jazz3000

The only time I've ever seen - and I've worked on enough - the red screen is when McAfee trial has been opened in Dell and hasn't been purchased in a certain amount of time. The screen is a warning screen isn't it? I still say clean your system up and remove the trials from Add Remove. Don't open them -unless you intend to purchase them. (I personally think it's a pay back for using it and not paying for it...LOL just my opinion). Let us know...Jazz

15. brokenwindows

you misunderstand it was a trojan and it made the desktop change to a red screen with a huge biohazard symbol on it. it took some doing to make it better but I guess it is still leaving a mark. I have tried over again to remove the factory installed crap in the add remove but it doesn't work on some of it. got a work around for that?

following the window reinstall guide now wiht my fingers crossed. be back.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice