1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by t-bower, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t-bower

t-bower Thread Starter

URGENT!!

My computer started running slow and then locked up for no reason. Upon trying to reboot, I got a boot disk error, then a ntldr error. After running my setup disks I get the blue screen " Stop: 0x0000007f ( 0x00000)....
    unexpected_kernel_mode_trap"

Any suggestions or ideas? I've done everything I can think of.

I should note, I am running win2k with all the updates, hot fixes, and service packs
    tommy b.

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

3. t-bower

t-bower Thread Starter

Are you telling me I have a major problem? None of those suggestions have helped, but thank you. I am unable to boot up in any mode for those suggestions to work. I tried running the setup disks, which is when I get the error. Otherwise it is a boot disk failure.
    Any other ideas?

thanks again
    tom

4. rka0

rka0 Banned

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    How far into the setup program do you get before you get a blue screen? What is the exact error code you get?

6. t-bower

t-bower Thread Starter

Hi techkid, I get to the end of the 4 setup disks where it says Windows is starting. After a few moments, it blue screens and says "stop: 0x0000007f ( 0x0000000) ....
    Unexpected_kernel_mode_trap

And thank you rka01 I'll try those too.

tom

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows (or c:\winnt for 2k). They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!