1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vlexandre, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vlexandre

vlexandre Thread Starter

Hello

I'll try to describe the problem as detailed as possible, but bear with me since I'm not all that sure on how to describe everything that well. It's confusing... I have a Dell XPS desktop with Vista Home Edition.

I was visiting the audi.co.uk website when all of a sudden parts of my screen started to get black boxes as though flash player was screwing up. After about 15 seconds or so of just regular browsing, my computer flashed black several times until the blue screen of death popped up. I restarted my computer and then when the Dell startup screen started to show up (when it shows it's loading), there were these blue dots scattered in a pattern across the screen. They went away when it asked for me to log on, but the resolution is all screwed up and it won't let me get back to my specifications. I go to the Personalization->Display Settings to set my resolution back and it doesn't seem to have my previous settings. In addition, the aesthetics of my computer seem messed up. For example, the slightly transparent and flowing colors of the task bar of various applications is now a solid blue color (like Windows XP was). No files or programs seem to be corrupted, or from what I see. All my programs seem to be in place and where they're supposed to be. So far, it seems to just be a problems dealing with the aesthetics since everything else seems normal. How do I fix this? Thanks in advance. And sorry if this was the wrong sub-forum to put this in.

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG.
    Can you do a System Restore, before this happened?

3. vlexandre

vlexandre Thread Starter

Hello

I did perform a system restore; unfortunately, it didn't accomplish anything.

4. bp936

bp936

5. Hughv

Hughv

Does it do this in Safe Mode?
    Boot to the utility partition (F12 at boot) and run the system tests, especially the video tests.

6. vlexandre

vlexandre Thread Starter

Yes, this is done in safe mode. And I'll try the utility partition. Look at the link to see what's been going on with the task bar of applications. It doesn't have that 'vista' transparent flowing look. This and the fact that the screen resolution is definitely not what it was at before. Also, when I try to move a screen, it freezes in the background so it's definitely a video problem (from what I can see) - I just can't revert it to what it was. I tried doing a system restore yet again and no luck. As I posted before, the start up loading screen (for Dell) has some strange layout of blue dots throughout the screen. Could my video hardware be permanently screwed up?

[​IMG]

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice