1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen of Something at log-in

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by duner80, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

Yesterday a friend was on my computer playing a game when the power went out. When they tried rebooting the computer when the power came back on things got weird.
    The computer would load XP Pro, but just before the log-in screen (after the splash screen) a Blue screen that said something about a memory dump (it went so fast I couldn't read anything else) came up and then the computer restarted. It did this numerous times.

Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it. I have encrypted files that I need to get to and don't know how any other way. (See post http://forums.techguy.org/t329130.html) since I was able to take owner ship of the file, but since it is all encrypted I can't do anything with it.
    Thanks for the help.

2. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

would running the recovery console cause me to lose all of my files?

3. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

No you won't lose your files if you enter recovery console. When you get to recovery console, run chkdsk /r and see if it'll boot again.

4. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

I tried this last night and it didn't find any problems. However it still wouldn't go to the login screen before rebooting.

5. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

I forgot to post something about when I am trying to boot XP.
    When I try and boot up through safe mode it always stops at:
    windows/system32/drivers/agp440.sys and then it pauses for a couple of seconds and then reboots.
    any ideas?

6. slow_slow_PC

slow_slow_PC

I've had a simmilar problem. When it got to the part when Win. XP was loading, it showed a blue screen with all kind of white text and it rebooted. Then it said I had an option to start win. normally, go to safe mode, etc.. I think it was a hard drive problem. When you download, and delete files constantly inside the C: Drive, it might result in this because the C: Drive keeps your computer running normally. Format the Hard Drive and it might work.

7. duner80

duner80 Thread Starter

I don't think there is anything wrong with the HDD because I can plug it in as a slave and see everything on the drive. I also ran checkdisk and defrag that way and nothing unusual popped up.
    Last night I went in through the recovery mode and disabled the following:
    agp440.sys; mup.sys; ndis.sys; pci.sys; pcmcia.sys; and one more but I can't remember. Then I tried rebooting in safe mode and this time it hung up on Ntfs.sys. So I plugged it back in as a slave and I copied all of the files from my working xp System32\Drivers folder into the non working drive thinking there might just be a corrupted file and that would fix it. But no luck, after rebooting in safe mode again it still would hang on Ntfs.sys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!