1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen on Safe Mode Start-Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Trickee, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trickee

Trickee Thread Starter

I hope this is the right place. I have suspicions that a virus may be involved somehow, though I myself can't verify it...

The problem: whenever I try to boot into safe mode with on my laptop (Alienware m15x--please hold all snickering until my problem is solved plz), it either fails the execute all the necessary processes or throws a bsd at me before the login screen can appear.

This is troubling on its own, but my girlfriend's laptop (Latitude D531) has started to do the same thing (same error numbers on the bsd and everything) in addition to not booting in normal mode at all.

The only similarity I can see between the two is that they were both exposed to a w32.beagle virus some time last week. I honestly don't know what exactly this virus does, but from what I've skimmed, it seems to download other malicious software. My Symantec logged and quarantined the threat as soon as it appeared (it was on a co-worker's flashdrive apparently), but I got a bsd after that anyway and I've gotten some notifications letting me know Symantec is blocking traffic from an IP address attempting to contact me. We tried another flashdrive in mine after that (we were transferring files between our laptops) and then put it in her comp. That's when problems started for her.

Her sound disappeared (I went through all the bugfixes windows suggests), and now, of course, her os won't boot at all. She has another comp to work on so she's not very concerned, but I'm becoming very worried about mine. I''m not experiencing any overt difficulties with my comp (not that that means anything with viruses involved), but the inability to boot into safe mode and scan for viruses is a major concern.

I would include a HJT log, but my laptop doesn't have internet access where I am atm. Thanks for any help. Peace.

2. deandude1196

deandude1196

"w32.beagle virus some time last week. I honestly don't know what exactly this virus does, but from what I've skimmed, it seems to download other malicious software"

Then you might either want to take the harddrive out, and put it in another computer (has to be the same as yours), or call microsoft.

I dont really know any other solutions. Im not really even familiar with that virus.

3. Trickee

Trickee Thread Starter

there must be something that can be done. I've always found help here before that didn't resort to reformatting--especially when viruses are involved.

I'm worried that my boot sector is in danger. If I can prevent damage to it I'd really like to!

4. deandude1196

deandude1196

Then if there is then you will have to find someone else. I dont know much about viruses.

5. nimd4

nimd4

Have a look @ Google, perhaps something like Never Force Safe Mode With Malware. :)

6. Trickee

Trickee Thread Starter

I'll try that google search.

I do, however, have that registry key intact, so that's not the problem, right?

7. Trickee

Trickee Thread Starter

The link was useful, but basically told me not to force safe mode unless I new what the threat was, which I don't. I still need some help.

Should I provide some more information? Here's an HJT log in case:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 7:37:09 PM, on 2/20/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16791)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Smc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienFusionService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SmcGui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe
    C:\Program Files\Keyboard Manager\OSD Utility\OSDManager.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienFusionController.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXController.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories\XboxStat.exe
    C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
    C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Audible\Bin\AudibleDownloadHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\WiFiConnector\NintendoWFCReg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01?FORM=TOOLBR
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Toolbar Helper - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Windows Live Toolbar - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: DAEMON Tools Toolbar - {32099AAC-C132-4136-9E9A-4E364A424E17} - C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Toolbar\DTToolbar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IAAnotif] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Keyboard OSD Utility] "C:\Program Files\Keyboard Manager\OSD Utility\OSDManager.exe" /lang en /H
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlienFusion Controller] "C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienFusionController.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlienFX Controller] "C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXController.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LanguageShortcut] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\Language\Language.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [XboxStat] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories\XboxStat.exe" silentrun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINCINEMAMGR] "C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WINREMOTE] "C:\Program Files\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinRemote.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools Lite] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe" -autorun
    O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Audible Download Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Audible\Bin\AudibleDownloadHelper.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: OSCust.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\oem\OSCust.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Run Registration Tool.lnk = C:\Program Files\WiFiConnector\NintendoWFCReg.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Windows Live Search - res://C:\Program Files\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll/search.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Windows &Live Favorites - http://favorites.live.com/quickadd.aspx
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Alienware Fusion Service (AlienFusionService) - Alienware - C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienFusionService.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor (IAANTMON) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Management Client (SmcService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Smc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Access Control (SNAC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SNAC.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec Endpoint Protection (Symantec AntiVirus) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
    End of file - 12849 bytes

8. Trickee

Trickee Thread Starter

bump? Anyone?

9. Trickee

Trickee Thread Starter

one last try =/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice