1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen on Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FredFa, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my wife's brand-new PC with Vista. The blue error screen appears during all shutdowns and restarts. During shutdowns, after the blue screen appears, I have to hold down the power button to turn off the machine. For restarts, sometimes the computer restarts after displaying the blue screen and sometimes I have to hold down the power button to turn off the computer and then press it again to start up.

When I boot up in Safe Mode, the problem does NOT occur, so that means some application runs at startup that is not shutting down properly. I went through MsConfig and looked at the Startup programs. I unchecked the first 6 of the 12 programs, restarted (so the changes would take effect), and then restarted again (to see if the problem occurred). I still saw the blue screen, so that eliminated those startup programs as the cause. I eliminated the remaining startup programs the same way and then did the same for all the items listed under Services in MsConfig. Still no luck.

What else could be run during startup that's not run in Safe mode? Vista doesn't seem to have a step-by-step confirmation option for startup, and there is no .dbg file produced (as far as I can tell), so I'm at a loss to determine the cause of the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. joeten

joeten

hi try checking in the event viewer logs for more info start control panel administrative tools event viewer my guess is it could be a driver possibly your graphics driver you could try getting update for you drivers from the mfr support website for you model you might try to get the error code and post it

3. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer. I looked at Event Viewer, and the error which seems to match up with the times I restarted is:
    Event ID: 10
    Source: WMI

I see some info from Microsoft saying this error can be ignored. I'll try running the script at this URL and see if it helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB950375

4. joeten

joeten

sounds like a plan goodluck

5. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

No luck yet, except for bad luck. I found this problem discussed at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727148.aspx

Several people are seeing this error, although I didn't see anyone say that they saw it only during shutdown. Some solved the problem by running a script which deletes the objects in the BVTFilter. After disabling the UAC, I was able to run the script successfully, but it didn't solve the problem. Another person disabled their graphics driver, but when I tried this, the blue screen still appeared.

Any ideas?

6. joeten

joeten

7. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

I wasn't quite sure what to do with Driver Verifier, but that give me the idea to try disabling some drivers. When I disabled the 802.11g Wireless LAN USB adapter driver, this kept the blue error screen from appearing when I restarted! Unfortunately, I need to keep this driver enabled, since the computer accesses the Internet through a wireless USB device. I tried updating the driver, but Windows reported that the latest version of the driver was already installed. Any suggestions?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The fact that you have the latest driver does not mean the installation could not be corrupted. So you should reinstall them anyway. It might be best to set a system restore point first, then uninstall and reinstall them.

If you like I can take a further look at the BSOD messages >>

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non Microsoft driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

9. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

Previously, I was not getting any dump files (the only file in the minidump directory was size 0), but two days ago, these files started appearing. I'm not sure why, maybe because I downloaded WinDbg.

Today, when I started the computer, Vista recognized a problem during shutdown and told me it was due to the 2Wire 802.11g Wireless LAN USB adapter driver. Vista directed me to 2Wire's website to download an updated driver. I went to http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download and downloaded both the 64 bit and 32 bit drivers for Windows Vista, and I extracted the ZIP files into directories. When I try to install drivers from these directories, however, Vista doesn't find any drivers there and tells me that the latest driver is already installed. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the current driver, but the shutdown problem keeps coming back.

I've attached the compressed minidump. Thanks so much for your help thus far. If you have any ideas on how to install an updated driver, or to prevent Vista from detecting an error using the current driver, please let me know.

Attached Files:

10. joeten

joeten

11. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer, but I don't see how the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility would help. The 2Wire 802.11g Wireless LAN USB adapter driver installs successfully with no errors, and it works correctly, except for the error during shutdown.

12. joeten

joeten

hi just a thought in case something was lingering or had trouble installing

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The dumpcheck does confirm the suspicion of the Wlan installation.

I don't know why you get that message if you are running the setup directly from the unzipped installer -- rather than using the "update" driver in the Device Manager.

If the setup does not have its own installer, then you need to manually guide the Device Managers routine to the setup directory.

But you can try uninstalling first.

14. FredFa

FredFa Thread Starter

I was able to find the latest driver from the 2wire.com website; it was under their "legacy" devices. Unfortunately, the driver on their site is the same one I already had installed. They haven't updated it since 2004. So it appears there's no updated driver that will help me.

Is there anything I can do within Vista to disable this device during shutdown, to suppress the error, or to have Vista ignore the error?

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It doesn't matter whether the driver is current or not -- if the installation is damaged you want to reinstall whatever you can. It is best to do a "clean" install, but you can just overinstall and see if that works.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!