1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen On Shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Negawing, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Negawing

Negawing Thread Starter

Hey there everyone. So I like to think of myself as pretty computer savvy, and have managed to solve all of my other computer hiccups without too much trouble. Not this one however.

About 4 weeks ago, I went to shut down my laptop, and it blue-screened right after the "Shutting Down" image had been up for a bit. It said something about usbhub.sys. I have been looking all over the internet, and tried pretty much all of the fixes without any luck. It's not a life threatening issues since I can just hard shutdown, but it does make it a pain to do updates. I hadn't started doing anything any differently that I had, which is why it surprised me.

Once it blue-screens, it restarts the computer. If I do a hard shutdown, it sometimes goes and does the whole disk check, but not always.

Thanks in advance!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in C:\Windows\Minidump for the crash dump files with a dmp extension. Zip 4 to 5 of them and post here as a zip or rar attachment. They will help us determine what caused the blue screen errors.

3. Negawing

Negawing Thread Starter

There was nothing in the minidump folder (I think CCleaner removes them when it runs). I just shut it down and didn't run CCleaner. I can do this a couple of times, but for now there is just this one .dmp file.

Attached Files:

4. Negawing

Negawing Thread Starter

Anybody have any ideas? Or am I completely sunk?

5. Frank4d

Your log says the error is caused by 'libusb0.sys', but is difficult to determine much from one log. Maybe look in CCleaner for an option to not remove the logs.

6. Negawing

Negawing Thread Starter

I turned that off. Should I just shut down several times to build up the logs, or would that just generate the same ones?

7. Frank4d

If the logs are nearly identical everytime, that helps pin down the cause (e.g: a driver or application). And if they are completely random, that helps too (e.g: bad RAM). So yes, 4 or 5 are equally helpful.

8. Negawing

Negawing Thread Starter

Ok, I have 4 dmp files in this one, so hopefully it will give a little more info.

Attached Files:

9. Frank4d

All of your logs point to "libusb0.sys" which is a USB driver. I also noted it is fairly old, dated March 20, 2007.

Have you added any USB devices or software for them lately? I also noted you have a driver for a USB fingerprint reader dated about the same time, but that may just be coincidence.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!