1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

blue screen only - no windows icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by july4d, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

After i click on my user name I get an error message "Unabe to locate component" that says "an application has failed to start because eirtutil.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."
    Then when I click OK I just get the blue screen - no icons to click on. The only thing I can do is press the comand alt delete and get the task manager to show so I can shut down or restart.
    Please help

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Hello july4d

Sounds like you need Windows repair. Do you by chance have a Microsoft XP installation disk with a working key? If so you can run a repair installation that might fix your problem (You're at the Windows XP board, so I assume you have Windows XP on the machine). See here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

You can also run chkdsk if you can get into the Recovery Console.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, in addition to the above.
    Open Task Manager - click on File > New Task - Type
    explorer.exe

Click Ok.
    Let us know if the desktop loads.
    ------
    Are you sure the dll file you posted is correct - eirtutil.dll?

4. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

Thanks! I ended up reinstalling my windows xp home edition frmo the disc and of course it wiped out all my files and basic programs so I installed the programs from the disc as well. I have not installed my office 2007 programs yet. Now I cannot connect to the internet. I see my wireless and it says the signal is strong and that I'm connected but it is stuck on "trying to verify identity". All my other computers are connected just fine. I have a Comcast DSL.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

Is this PC using a wireless connection setup? You may have to add the router code as the connection password for the connection to be established...

6. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

My connection is wireless. I don't know what that means " router code". I have a wireless password for the DSL connection but I don't think that's what you are talking about.

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...this is different. On the bottom of the router, there should be a sticker. On the sticker should be a 10 digit code. Write down the code and let me know when you have it written down. That is your router password...

8. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

OK there are several places on the bottom of the router with the same number but it has 12 letters and numbers. Also there is another sticker that says security pin but that is only 8 numbers. Which one and what do I do with the numbers?

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

This is all numbers, and it should be 10 of them. It could also be on the side or even on the top, but it's usually on the bottom. If you can't find a 10 digit number, we'll try the 8 digit one. It's definitely all numbers....

10. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

There's no 10 digit number anywhere. There's just the other numbers I told you about and also a user name and password that are imprinted with the factory information but those are words. I tried connecting the ethernet cord from the router directly to the computer and running the "repair" for the internet connection several times but although it says it is connected with excellent signal strength it also says it cannot acquire a valid IP address. I think maybe some of my setting are wrong but I don't know how to tell.

11. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...let's try this...

Do you have in your system tray the little monitor with the red x in it. You may have to hit the little arrow expander to see all your system tray icons for it to be visible. If it's there, right click on it and tell me what options you have available to you. If it's not there, go to Control Panel (choose classic view)->Network Connections. There should be a connection therre, we just have to activate it for you to use.

Right click on the connection and list your options here on the board...

12. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

disable, status, repair, view available wireless networks, change firewall settings, open network connections

13. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

after a few minutes the "x" goes away and it says I'm connected but "unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network (my network name)"

14. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...this is actually easy...

Right click on the monitor with the x in the system tray. Next select "Open Network Connections". Right click on the connection and select "Properties". Select the "Wireless Connections" tab and then highlight the top connection in the list in the list box. Select "Properties". Now just add in the 8 digit number from your router into the password area and see if that works...

15. july4d

july4d Thread Starter

i did this but it wanted 10 digit number so I enter the router password that I've used for years, one that I personally chose, but it still says "authentification failed". I don't get it! Maybe I've screwed up some of the settings for the connection. I've tried to fix this myself in "advanced settings" but I was just trying all different things and nothing seemed to work. Maybe i messed up the settings - I don't know. This is so frustrating because I'm so close to getting this computer up and running! I hate to keep bugging you about this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!