1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Forsooth, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

Over the past couple days, my computer has began to blue screen almost constantly.

There were a few errors; kernel_data_inpage_error and kernel_stack_inpage_error. Stop codes were 0x000000F4 and 0x0000007A. There was also something concerning atapi.sys.

I read up on a few things but the most I did was switch out my sata cables and made a different peripheral the master (both of which were only temporary solutions). I ran a Memtest for a few hours and it returned no errors, so I'm confident it isn't a problem with my memory. So, I need some help.

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  3. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

I haven't installed any new hardware. I've been using the same setup for over a year now. Those don't really help because I haven't installed anything new.

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Are the fans working , is there dust, pet hair, ... buildup inside the tower, is anything that can buildup static like a phone, radio, ... near the tower ?

5. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

Fans work completely, I clean my PC thoroughly and often, and there is nothing near the tower.

6. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  7. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Also try running System File Check by clicking Start / Run and type in sfc /scannow ( make sure to leave a space between sfc and /scannow ) Have your installation cd handy as you may be asked for it.

8. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

Ran Chkdsk. Now I can go about an hour without BSODing.

If it helps any, after these BSODs I get the message, " Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter." So, it's basically failing to boot from my HDD? After a few minutes it's able to boot again.

9. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    You say that you switched out your sata cables, are you sure their seated tightly and that there's no damage or bent pins ? Also is the bios set to boot from the hdd first ? Finally if no joy try a system restore.

10. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

Yes, my bios is set to boot from the hdd. The cables are brand new and there is no damage to my motherboard or the cables themselves.

I turned off system restore when I build the PC :|

11. helpful

helpful

Backup your data immediately!. "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" means the bios did not detect the hard drive and there is no boot devices.

You have all the symptoms of immediate future hard drive failure.

12. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

So my best bet is to replace the drive completely?

And for the record, I was mistaken. I never turned off system restore. A system restore won't help here?

13. helpful

helpful

DiskMonitorFree is great monitoring and diagnostic tool and will provide a overall health percentage based on the SMART statistics.

System restore wont help no, that is not meant as a backup solution as the original data is stored on the same volume as the restore points. Also you would need a "full" backup of your hard-drive for the restore to your new hard drive.

I would not bother doing a complete backup, we know there was data corruption because chkdsk in the short term worked. Just backup the personal data.

The best solution:

1) Backup all the personal information on the harddrive
    2) Run DiskMonitorFree to confirm hard drive failure
    3) Purchase a new harddrive
    4) Install OS and drivers and programs
    5) copy personal data to new hard drive

14. Forsooth

Forsooth Thread Starter

So, the absolute only thing I can do is replace my HDD.

15. helpful

helpful

Yes in IMHO, you can also run DiskMonitorFree software and see what the software detects the hard drive health as.

There is only so much that can be done without physically examining the machine, if your apprehensive about purchasing the hard drive based on my advice get the computer examined at the local computer shop first.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!