Blue screen, serious error....help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theymademedoit

Hi,
I have a feeling this is a malware problem.
A couple of nights ago I went to shut down my desktop (XP) and it seemed to take a little longer than usual.
The morning after I fired it up and had the ‘start windows using last known configuration/safemode etc’…I chose start normally and was then faced with the blue screen saying that there had been a problem and windows had to re-start to prevent damage etc.
This happened 3 or 4 times in a row and I eventually turned off the PC and unplugged my USB ext hard drive and it then started up and stayed on all day.
I ran Malwarebytes and it found a Trojan and I then deleted it.

When I went to shut down last night, again it took longer and this morning the whole thing happened again…including the unplugging of the ext hard drive.

This time I ran chkdsk however I am not sure if it completed (or even if I ran it correctly as said in read only mode) as when I can back in the room there was nothing on the screen.
I then tried running chkdsk /f and it said it couldn’t be completed as something was in use – did I want to run on next start up….I said yes, restarted and was then hit with this error….(see attached).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Al

Attachments

Can you get it to boot up again in Normal mode? If so run Malwarebytes again and see if it finds the same infection, if it does you will need help in the Malware forum where you should start a new thread. Post the Malwarebytes log here for me to see.

That error code can relate to several different causes, one of which is faulty memory so it may be worth making the Memtest disc on another PC then boot your faulty machine with it and let it run overnight.

Preliminary checks
You should first check the model of RAM stick that you have on the manufacturers site for the recommended voltage setting and then make sure it is set correctly in the PC's Bios. An incorrect voltage setting may be the reason for your problems so test the PC's performance again if the voltage was incorrect.
Errors can also be caused by dirty contacts, mismatched sticks or using them in the wrong slots. Check all sticks are the same make and specification, check the motherboard manual for the correct slots to use. Remove all the sticks and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slots with a can of compressed air.
Download Memtest86+ from here
When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.
In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.
Testing
Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 8 cycles or until it is showing some errors. If errors show in the test, remove all but one of your RAM sticks and repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty. This is a long slow test and should ideally be run overnight.
The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.
IMPORTANT
Always disconnect your PC from the mains supply when removing Ram sticks and earth your hands to discharge any static electricity to avoid damage to sensitive components. If performing this test on a laptop PC you should also remove the battery before removing or replacing the RAM sticks.

theymademedoit

Hi,
Thanks for this, I will check it when I get back from work.
I wondered it was my external hard drive or my DVD rom as it wont eject when I try to,

The external hard drive could have something to do with this if it has an electrical fault but not something I have come across before.

If you can't open the CD drive you are not going to be able to run the Memtest from the CD. Can you get it open using a bent out paper clip pushed through the hole just below the draw front. And, again, I doubt this could be the cause of the problem.

theymademedoit

Hi there.
Over the weekend I tried booting up with the USB HD attached and I get the blue screen.
This morning I boot up without and all is fine.
Is this something I can sort in the BIOS or is the EXT HD likely screwed?

Did you run Malwarebytes again to see if it comes up clean as I suggested in post 2?

Best way to see if the external drive is causing the problem is to plug it into another PC and see if it has the same effect. I doubt it will be due to any setting in the Bios, basically it should either work, or not work, it shouldn't crash the system unless there is a fault. Have you another USB cable you can try.

theymademedoit

Hi,
Well I tried to turn my pc on this morning (without the ext HD attached) and it kept booting to the BSOD, with a message saying ‘page_fault_in_nonpaged_area’.
I tried restarting in safemode, last known good config and normally and nothing.
I then turned it off for a while and tried again.
This time it booted and I disabled the internet, uninstalled my AVIRA and ran chkdsk /r /f and it came up clean and then booted ok.
I am now at work and left it running Malwarebytes again.
I really don’t know what to do next.
I don’t mind formatting and reinstalling XP as I have all my stuff on an ext hd.

What would you suggest?
Re-seating the RAM, cleaning the fans etc?
Could it be my anti-virus?

I would be suprised if this is due to a virus, and it is also unlikely to be caused by Avira.

Now that it has had a BSOD without the ext drive connected that can also be eliminated from the possible cause.

You could try given the PC a good clean out and reseating the RAM as that can do no harm.

I am inclined to think this will be a RAM fault which is why I first suggested testing the RAM with Memtest. This may be a good time to get the CD drive to work or replace it, we are limited in the tests that can be run without it.

As this is an intermittent fault it is most likely to be hardware related so reinstalling the OS is unlikely to fix the problem. See if you can get the CD drive sorted, then we may be able to make some more progress in the diagnosis.

I forgot to add this. Please attach the minidumps as that may also help to diagnose what is going on, follow this guide.

First locate your minidump files, they are usually found by clicking on your C: drive, in Windows Explorer, then click on Windows to view the contents. If your operating system is installed under a different drive letter then look there. They should be stored under a file called minidump.The files will have a .dmp extension.
Zip up at least 6 of the most recent files into one zip folder and save on your desktop (if there are less then just zip up what you have).
NOTE To zip up a file in Windows (all versions). Right-click the file or folder, click on Send To, and then click Compressed (zipped) Folder and save it to your desktop.
Open Windows Explorer, click on Desktop in the left column so you can see the zip file. In the left column click on C: > Windows > Minidump and then drag & drop any additional .dmp files into the zip folder.

• Below the Message Box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a new window opens.
• Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and doubleclick on it.
• Now click on the Upload button. When done, click on the Close this window button at the bottom of the page.
• Enter your message-text in the message box, then click on Submit Message/Reply.

theymademedoit

Hi, Thanks again.
I am pretty sure my dvd drives fine...I think it may be locked by IMGBURN...I will take a look when I get home and run MEMTEST....and I will upload the minidumps.

I doubt ImagBurn will have locked the drive. Go into Windows Explorer and right click on the CD drive. Then select Eject, see if that works. If the CD drive is not visible under My Computer check in Device Manager and make sure it is being recognised.

theymademedoit

I tried the eject in the explorer and it makes a clicking sound and nothing happens.
I will check device manager this eve

Then the draw must be jammed, the clicking sound will be the motor trying to open it. Could you have a disc stuck in there?

Try inserting a bent out paper clip into the small hole just under the draw, it may take a bit of fiddling but you should eventually make contact with a small lever inside that will release the draw.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online