1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen, serious error....help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theymademedoit, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theymademedoit

theymademedoit Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a feeling this is a malware problem.
    A couple of nights ago I went to shut down my desktop (XP) and it seemed to take a little longer than usual.
    The morning after I fired it up and had the ‘start windows using last known configuration/safemode etc’…I chose start normally and was then faced with the blue screen saying that there had been a problem and windows had to re-start to prevent damage etc.
    This happened 3 or 4 times in a row and I eventually turned off the PC and unplugged my USB ext hard drive and it then started up and stayed on all day.
    I ran Malwarebytes and it found a Trojan and I then deleted it.

When I went to shut down last night, again it took longer and this morning the whole thing happened again…including the unplugging of the ext hard drive.

This time I ran chkdsk however I am not sure if it completed (or even if I ran it correctly as said in read only mode) as when I can back in the room there was nothing on the screen.
    I then tried running chkdsk /f and it said it couldn’t be completed as something was in use – did I want to run on next start up….I said yes, restarted and was then hit with this error….(see attached).

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Al

Attached Files:

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Can you get it to boot up again in Normal mode? If so run Malwarebytes again and see if it finds the same infection, if it does you will need help in the Malware forum where you should start a new thread. Post the Malwarebytes log here for me to see.

That error code can relate to several different causes, one of which is faulty memory so it may be worth making the Memtest disc on another PC then boot your faulty machine with it and let it run overnight.

3. theymademedoit

Hi,
    Thanks for this, I will check it when I get back from work.
    I wondered it was my external hard drive or my DVD rom as it wont eject when I try to,

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The external hard drive could have something to do with this if it has an electrical fault but not something I have come across before.

If you can't open the CD drive you are not going to be able to run the Memtest from the CD. Can you get it open using a bent out paper clip pushed through the hole just below the draw front. And, again, I doubt this could be the cause of the problem.

5. theymademedoit

Hi there.
    Over the weekend I tried booting up with the USB HD attached and I get the blue screen.
    This morning I boot up without and all is fine.
    Is this something I can sort in the BIOS or is the EXT HD likely screwed?

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Did you run Malwarebytes again to see if it comes up clean as I suggested in post 2?

Best way to see if the external drive is causing the problem is to plug it into another PC and see if it has the same effect. I doubt it will be due to any setting in the Bios, basically it should either work, or not work, it shouldn't crash the system unless there is a fault. Have you another USB cable you can try.

7. theymademedoit

I will test it on another PC and I should have another USB cable.
    Malwarebytes came up clean.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, I'll wait to hear back from you.

9. theymademedoit

Hi,
    Well I tried to turn my pc on this morning (without the ext HD attached) and it kept booting to the BSOD, with a message saying ‘page_fault_in_nonpaged_area’.
    I tried restarting in safemode, last known good config and normally and nothing.
    I then turned it off for a while and tried again.
    This time it booted and I disabled the internet, uninstalled my AVIRA and ran chkdsk /r /f and it came up clean and then booted ok.
    I am now at work and left it running Malwarebytes again.
    I really don’t know what to do next.
    I don’t mind formatting and reinstalling XP as I have all my stuff on an ext hd.

What would you suggest?
    Re-seating the RAM, cleaning the fans etc?
    Could it be my anti-virus?

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

I would be suprised if this is due to a virus, and it is also unlikely to be caused by Avira.

Now that it has had a BSOD without the ext drive connected that can also be eliminated from the possible cause.

You could try given the PC a good clean out and reseating the RAM as that can do no harm.

I am inclined to think this will be a RAM fault which is why I first suggested testing the RAM with Memtest. This may be a good time to get the CD drive to work or replace it, we are limited in the tests that can be run without it.

As this is an intermittent fault it is most likely to be hardware related so reinstalling the OS is unlikely to fix the problem. See if you can get the CD drive sorted, then we may be able to make some more progress in the diagnosis.

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

I forgot to add this. Please attach the minidumps as that may also help to diagnose what is going on, follow this guide.

12. theymademedoit

Hi, Thanks again.
    I am pretty sure my dvd drives fine...I think it may be locked by IMGBURN...I will take a look when I get home and run MEMTEST....and I will upload the minidumps.

13. Mark1956

Mark1956

I doubt ImagBurn will have locked the drive. Go into Windows Explorer and right click on the CD drive. Then select Eject, see if that works. If the CD drive is not visible under My Computer check in Device Manager and make sure it is being recognised.

14. theymademedoit

I tried the eject in the explorer and it makes a clicking sound and nothing happens.
    I will check device manager this eve

15. Mark1956

Mark1956

Then the draw must be jammed, the clicking sound will be the motor trying to open it. Could you have a disc stuck in there?

Try inserting a bent out paper clip into the small hole just under the draw, it may take a bit of fiddling but you should eventually make contact with a small lever inside that will release the draw.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!