1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen Start-Up Error: 0x00000024

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Desperato, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Desperato

Desperato Thread Starter

A blue screen with the following information appears when I try to boot up my Dimension 5100:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8258B520, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

What the...?

Please help if you can. THANKS!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

A Stop 24 indicates a fault with the Hard Drive, either with the hardware itself or the file system on the Hard Drive.

3. Desperato

Desperato Thread Starter

Ok, so how does one go about fixing this issue?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The fact that it is a laptop does not make it easy, but I really hope you keep all your valuable data backed up to CD etc.

If it were mine I would try the hard drive in a desktop, either using an external USB case or a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter, as a slave drive.

If the drive detected OK, then it may not be a hardware (controller) failure and some data recovery may be possible. If the drive is borked, data recovery could be horrendously expensive and the domain of the professional.

Can you advise if you need the data off it, and/or if you have recovery CD's?

5. cmw2010

cmw2010

Do you have access to an actual Windows CD, try to boot from it and start the recovery console and run a chkdsk /f /r and see if it fixes it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice