1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen stating driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ZoneR, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoneR

ZoneR Thread Starter

blue screen keep coming up suddenly.
    it shows something driver_irql_not_less_or_equal with some numbers
    which is

0x000000D1 (0x00000020, 0x000000002, 0x00000000, 0xF416EB3F)

SYMTDI.SYS - Address F416EB3F base at F4164000, Datestamp 3F3d8359

i notice that the Address happens to be not the same each time the blue screen comes out and sometimes it came out Bad_pool_caller message instead of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal.

i have tried disabling my usb ports which use the same irql with my graphic cards and storage controller.

after knowing that SYMTDI.SYS is part of the Norton Anti-Virus 2004, i uninstalled it.

however, all this still don't help.

2. Cookies

Cookies

The initial error message is likely your system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high -- normally caused by a bad device driver. It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

Check your device manager for yellow !'s; then, your System and Application logs in your event viewer should provide more detail to help you.

To Open the Event Viewer
    Windows XP
    Start >> Performance and Maintenance >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer (or Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer)
    Windows 2000
    Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer
    Windows NT
    Start >> Programs >> Administrative Tools (Common) >> Event Viewer

I've attached a screenshot of what the event viewer looks like. Look in the System and Application logs for red "X"s or yellow "!"'s. Note the event number in the Event column and the source in the right pane.

If you can easily reproduce the error, it might be more useful for you to clear the event viewer log, recreate the error and then peek at the System and Application logs for red "X"s or yellow "!"'s.
    Here's how:

Windows 2000/XP
    With the Application Log heading selected, select Action >> Clear all Events.
    Windows NT
    With the Log >> Application item selected, select Log >> Clear All Events

Also see "0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" here
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php for some useful links to help you troubleshoot.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!