1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen/ USB problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jy_been, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jy_been

jy_been Thread Starter

I just installed an automatic update on my Dell computer with XP. Now when ever I start up my computer up, i get a blue screen with PAGE_DEFAULT. I cannot start in safe mode or last know good configeration. If I unplug all my USB devices (keyboard-mouse-printer-modem) the computer will start normally. When I plug in my keyboard, the computer will pop up the blue screen. I don't have anyway to restore to a date before the update.

What can I do?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. You can do a restore from a command prompt, with your Windows XP install cd.

3. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Borrow a PS2 keyboard and try booting with it and see if it will boot.
    If so , run system restore

4. jy_been

jy_been Thread Starter

Thanks, but I thought of that and my Dell dosn't have any.

5. jy_been

jy_been Thread Starter

How do I get to a command promt on startup. and what do I type in for system restore?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you installed the recovery console, which most folks don't.....don't know why as it's handy, it will be a choice when you boot up. If you didn't you'll need the Windows cd to get to it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449 Info on how to boot to command prompt and run restore.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice