Blue screen/ USB problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jy_been

I just installed an automatic update on my Dell computer with XP. Now when ever I start up my computer up, i get a blue screen with PAGE_DEFAULT. I cannot start in safe mode or last know good configeration. If I unplug all my USB devices (keyboard-mouse-printer-modem) the computer will start normally. When I plug in my keyboard, the computer will pop up the blue screen. I don't have anyway to restore to a date before the update.

What can I do?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. You can do a restore from a command prompt, with your Windows XP install cd.

Borrow a PS2 keyboard and try booting with it and see if it will boot.
If so , run system restore

jy_been

How do I get to a command promt on startup. and what do I type in for system restore?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If you installed the recovery console, which most folks don't.....don't know why as it's handy, it will be a choice when you boot up. If you didn't you'll need the Windows cd to get to it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449 Info on how to boot to command prompt and run restore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online