1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue screen when booting xp..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zanoza, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

Hey
    im pretty stupid with computers and i really need help on this...
    I accidenty instaled some virus i think and now everytime i start my computer, i get pass the log in screen and then after some time of loading, i get the blue screen that says:
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    then a buncha stuff and then
    *STOP 0x000000050 (other sorta numbers here)
    when i ran through safe mode and tried to do a system restore, nothing happened..(i clicked the icon but showed up)
    i wanted to run a virus scan but my anti virus wouldnt load in safe mode either...
    could somebody PLEASE help me.. i have a project due in 2 days and its on the computer =/

2. waggy19

waggy19

Hi there,
    remove any attatched peripherals, start the computer and tap f8 to get to the boot options screen. Select last known good configuration in the list and cross your fingers :). Let me know if this helps.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

4. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

Thanks, I did what you said but when i try to do send to, some wierd error comes up and it ownt let me do it..
    I attached 4 dump files separatley though

EDIT: ok i managed to use 7zip to compress it

Attached Files:

5. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

bump
    pls reply... i really need help =[[

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The faulting process is always ntkrnlmp.exe -- a core Microsoft process -- and I would have to say the main suspect at this point would have to be faulty ram. You need to test it.

Have you also tried removing any attached hardware as suggested by another? I see video can drivers loading -- and you really want to remove things like that as well as any attached USB drives.

Also, are you able to post a HijackThis scanlog taken in normal mode ? >>

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

>>> and does this fault occur if you "clean boot" the system ? >>

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << for Vista, but applies equally to XP, and better written.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in &#8220;selective&#8221; startup mode &#8211; you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

7. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

I can do a hijack this scan in safe mode, but i cant do anything in normal mode =/
    i just get the BSOD when i see my desktop, sometimes a couple programs get to load but it never finishes loading
    also, my system resotore was delted by the virus (i think), and everytime i try running it i get the blue screen, or sometimes i cant even find it...

I tried the services thing, but i got the blue screen even earlier
    I dont know if i did right so ill just tell you my steps in case I made a mistake:
    I opened msconfig
    went to services, cheked show all microsoft services, desabled all the others.
    went to the general tab, and unchecked load start up items
    Then i restarted and booted in normal mode and got the same blue screen.
    what should i try now?
    i can post the hijack this log in safe mode

Ok, also when i try to change anything in my services, i get a message that I need to be logged in as an administrtor to change a service... but im already logged in as an admin so i dont know what to do =/

8. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

bump

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just go ahead and re-enable all the services rather than try to disable/re-enable any individually.

The things you need to do at this point are:

1 > remove all peripheral hardware -- especially any USB drives, printers or other devices that may be connected.

2 > run chkdsk on the drive >> http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/resources/support/chkdsk.htm

The log for chkdsk will be available in the Applications > Winlogon entry of the Event Viewer (run: eventvwr.msc)

3 > test the ram.

Ram tests generally require making a bootable CD. And the CD drive has to be first in the boot order if you don't have the option of selecting it from an F12 boot menu (such as with Dells).

To create a bootable CD, download and unzip this file >>

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86+-1.70.iso.zip (from: http://www.memtest.org/)

If you have Nero or Roxio or any other burning program which recognizes the ISO extension, you only need to put a writable CD in the drive and "run" it and follow the prompts (you do not burn it by copy/pasting or drag and dropping onto the drive). Once burned you boot with it. If you end up back in Windows, you probably do not have the drive first in the boot order.

10. zanoza

zanoza Thread Starter

does a mouse and speakers count as peripheral hardware =/?

i already did a disk check yesterday heres the log:
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is SQ004030P01.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
    may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
    that you continue.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 1295 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 1295 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 1295 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    The remaining USN block at offset 0x90061390 in file 0x7135 is
    less than a page.
    The remaining of an USN page at offset 0x90061390 in file 0x7135
    should be filled with zeros.
    Repairing Usn Journal file record segment.
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

74091748 KB total disk space.
    68922668 KB in 382171 files.
    160484 KB in 15269 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    586124 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    4422472 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    18522937 total allocation units on disk.
    1105618 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    20 51 06 00 8a 10 06 00 a6 f8 0a 00 00 00 00 00 Q..............
    e7 10 00 00 01 00 00 00 c3 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    d8 cc ad 1b 00 00 00 00 b4 80 a5 65 01 00 00 00 ...........e....
    6c 1e 73 2a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 l.s*............
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 f4 fa 59 bf 01 00 00 00 ..........Y.....
    99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 78 38 07 00 db d4 05 00 ..6.....x8......
    00 00 00 00 00 b0 b4 6e 10 00 00 00 a5 3b 00 00 .......n.....;..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

I looked in my event viewer and i dont have any disk errors...
    ill try the memtest, i need to get a cd burning program though

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

For Memtest you can use DeepBurner >> http://www.deepburner.com/index.php?r=download

The portable version works fine and is very handy.

Since DeepBurner does not associate ISO files with its burning process, you will have to open DeepBurner first and load the file manually. Just see the screenshot.

The speaker should not be a problem. And a standard mouse would not be either -- but if it is a gaming mouse -- with its own driver installation -- that could be.

You might try the msconfig thing again by logging in to the formal Administrative account rather than your normal one. Do make sure you check the box to HIDE all Microsoft services -- then the rest can be disabled in one fell swoop. And renabled conversely.

>> while there are some disk errors in the chkdsk log I don't see any that would pose a continuing problem -- no bad blocks or sectors.

Attached Files:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!