1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen! :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sako_92, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sako_92

sako_92 Thread Starter

Hi. When I start my computer, I get the "media test failure; check cable" message. My biggest problem is blue screening. If I don't use my computer for a while, it will last for a few hours before blue screening. If I turn it on immediately after that, it won't even last 30 minutes. I am running a gateway desktop computer with windows vista. I have two hard drives and I think it might be from the hard drive I'm running it off of. Maybe I could clone my hard drive onto the other one? Any help is highly appreciated! :)

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

The STOP or ERROR code on the BSOD will indicate the cause of the problem.

With that said, it sounds like a heat related issue. Could be the PC is full of dust and dirt and thus can't keep itself cool or it could be a faulty component. When was the last time it was cleaned?

3. sako_92

sako_92 Thread Starter

I haven't cleaned it for about a year now..

bsod says : irql_not_less_or_equal

4. ekim68

ekim68 Mike

You should clean every six months.. And what kind of security do you have?

5. sako_92

sako_92 Thread Starter

I have AVG, Malware Bytes Anti-Malware, and Superantispyware.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Zip and attach the dump files in C:\Windows\Minidumps for analysis.

Have you changed any drivers lately? If so, can you boot into Safe Mode and roll back the driver change to what it was before?

7. sako_92

sako_92 Thread Starter

I'm really not sure how to do the dump file thing. Could you please tell me?

I don't think I have changed any drivers recently. This problem has been going on for a while. I just never really got to it.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you find the folder C:\Windows\Minidumps?

If you can, open it. Select all the files inside by pressing Ctrl+A. Right-click the selected files and "Send To" a "Compressed (zipped) Folder". You will see the zip file in the folder along with the other files. Attach it to your post here using the advanced options.

9. sako_92

sako_92 Thread Starter

I tried but I get the message "file not pound or no read permission"

10. sako_92

sako_92 Thread Starter

*found

11. james1052

james1052

The media test failure is no biggie. It just means that your BIOS is set to try to boot from the network and that you are not setup for that. If it annoys you, jut disable PXE/network booting from the BIOS.

As far as the blue screening, have you looked in the Event Viewer to see if there are any clues? Also, try booting to the BIOS and just leaving it on for 30 minutes. If it acts just fine in the BIOS, then you know it's not overheating and that it's likely a Windows or HDD issue.

12. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

"irql_not_less_or_equal" typically indicates a driver issue. The BSOD STOP or ERROR code may indicate the hardware involved, or you may be able to determine the cause simply by the verbage.

13. smithRjhon

smithRjhon

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!