blue screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

julesg33

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone out there can help me out...

I'm running Windows XP right now and occasionally when I load a DVD into my disk drive I get a blue screen.
It stopped happening for a while but suddenly the problem re-occured.
That I can think of, I havent downloaded any new programs to my computer that could be causing the blue screen.. (other than a new mouse and some mp3 player software) and it only happens every once in a while when I insert a dvd... but it ONLY happens when I insert a dvd..

I believe the error message is "ILRQ_multiple..." followed by "dumping physical memory" (cant remember the rest)

if anyone could give me some insight on this problem that would be great...
if you need more info I can insert a dvd and write down the actual error message that pops up.

Also, if my computer becomes overheated and shuts down does this mean that my fan needs to be cleaned? (it has been happening more and more and it also usually happens when im watching a dvd.. the fan isn't obstructed or blocked whenever the computer shuts down)

thanks a lot!
jules

julesg33

k i inserted a dvd again so i could get the exact message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

IRQL_not_less_or_equal

then it rambled on about contacting my computer provider and included a stop message:

***STOP: 0x000000A (0x00000008,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804f0700)

any ideas on what's going on?
again it ONLY happens when i insert a dvd... all cd's or burnt cd's work just fine...

julesg33

i have not done a memory test as of yet.. but i will do the overnight one tonight and let you know the results in the morning..

what should i look for when running this memory test? is there anything specific i should be looking for?

thanks

blues_harp28

Hi..Memtest..will check how stable your memory is...it's ability to store and retrieve data..
They say minimum test is 20 mins..but overnight is the better option..

julesg33

so ive tried twice to run a mem test but halfway through the night my computer shuts off because it "overheats"

so im assuming that's a bad thing... :S

blues_harp28

Hi..overheating not good..
May need to clean up..Disconnect..take tower outside..remove cover and the best thing to use is a can of compressed air..most computer stores wiil sell them..
How often does it overheat?

julesg33

as far as cleaning out the computer.. i have a laptop.. (dell inspiron 1100) so im not entirely sure as how to go about that... I looked in the owners manual for some instructions but I was unable to find any.. so is there any way I can do that on my own, or should I take it to a technician to avoid any broken/lost pieces..?

as far as how many times it overheats it ONLY happens when I try and run that memtest or when I leave a dvd playing overnight in it (say if I fall asleep while watching a movie).. I have left movies playing overnight (say if they're saved to my hard drive and not a dvd) and the computer does not shut off.. and also I have left my laptop on for days (more like weeks.. lol) without a restart and it never overheats...

by the way I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the help you're giving me thanks a lot!
jules

julesg33

oh and i forgot to add that the overheating only happens every once in while (it did do it both times i ran the memtest) and it doesnt happen EVERY time i use a dvd.. does that make sense?

like the overheating does not happen a lot but if it DOES happen it's only when i do the memtest or use a dvd....

alright i hope that clears anything confusing up

julesg33

oh that website is awesome! thanks...
so my next question is.. the dvd/blue screen issue simply due to an overheating issue?

because after running the memtest for 20 mins ive had no errors...

blues_harp28

Hi.Blue screens.1st three to always check are...Faulty Ram..Overheating..Faulty Drivers...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online