1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screen -

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by atlreed, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atlreed

atlreed Thread Starter

For the last nine months, I have been getting a blue screen. There is no pattern to when it happens. I can be working on a graphic program or not at the computer at all. Each time the cause is different. For example: 1/29/07 Stop 0x0000000008E Win32K.sys - address BF80E614 ; 1/31/07 Blue Screen: Stop 0x000000008E TCPIP.SYS Address F5977833; 2/28 Blue Screen: The same stop numbers but file nv4_disp.dll address Bf06A5BE; 3/4/07 Blue Screen; The same stop numbers but file IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL STOP. Today I got the same stop number with the error in file WIN32K.sys address BF827D97. Each time I send the report to Microsoft and they give me a different reason. I have upgraded all drivers, checked memory (both with Microsoft and Dell), and I haven't added any new programs or hardware during this time. I called Dell and they checked all the hardware (took 4 hours) and told me all hardware is fine. They told me to update McAfee, which was up to date - but still I get this blue screen. After getting the blue screen, I turn off computer and restart - but I want to know what is causing this problem. Any ideas? Thanks ATLREED

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I usually check memory first when there is no pattern to them and the errors are different each time. Download Mentest86 and make a bootable CD: http://memtest.org Maybe you already checked it, I don't know what "checked memory (both with Microsoft and Dell)" is?

When you boot the CD Memtest should run automatically, You want to let it run for several hours, making sure the bottom part of the screen does not fill with errors.

3. atlreed

atlreed Thread Starter

I'll try that, where do I download Mentest86 from? The memory test I did was on Dell's Utility disk and a memory test I downloaded from Microsoft - both came back no problem with memory, but if you tell me where to get Mentest86, I'll try that one. Thanks, Atlreed

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!