1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Screened, then computer malfunctions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by soaringxh3n, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soaringxh3n

soaringxh3n Thread Starter

Hey guys I need some help, I just brought my computer to the college dorms, set it up, and was working fine for around 4 hours. Then I got a blue screen while chatting and it said something about checking my hardware. When I restarted, it says "error loading OS".

I restarted once more pressing "delete" and checked the "Standard CMOS Features" and it doesn't show my primary hard drive, "primary ide master : none" but it shows my 2nd slave drive.

Anyone know what happen to my computer?
    Is there anyway to fix this problem? No computer at college = :confused:

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    open your PC case and check that all connections are fully pushed in, and nothing is loose, such as the RAM modules. Try rebooting into the "advanced options menu" to select safe mode, then check in the device manager, event viewer, and also try that "last known good configuration" option too.

3. soaringxh3n

I made sure it was all plugged in but the error is still there. I also felt the HD spinning.. so i'm not sure what's wrong with it . and my F keys isn't working to boot in safe mode. (my F keys aren't broken though)

4. soaringxh3n

it says it can't read my HD ; error loading OS

5. bonk

bonk Banned

when you say F keys you mean F8 key tapping it on start up

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

You say it worked for 4 hours. During or after the 4 hours you were on it did you leave the computer alone and accessable to anyone trying to enter your dorm room like leave the door unlocked?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There should be an option to auto detect the drives in the BIOS setup. Try that -- but make sure the drive cable and power connector to it are re seated.

If you have an XP CD, try loading the recovery console and running:

chkdsk /r

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

8. soaringxh3n

thank you guys for the help, i have fixed it.

i put in the windows XP sp2 CD, went to bios and made it boot from CD-rom drive first and had it saved and exited, then it restarted and booted windows normally. hope this helps someone else too

9. soaringxh3n

okay nevermind it happened again. same symptoms.

Last time it worked, out of no where it detected the main HD.
    Now it can't detect it again.

and when i do chkdsk /r with recovery console it just restarts when it finishes and the same problem pops up, "error loading OS" any way i can fix this? preferably without losing my data. that's last resort :(

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the drive cannot be detected in the CMOS, then it is probably shot. But do make sure all the cables are seated securely and try to autodetect it again.

You might be able to recover data by slaving it to another computer and accessing it that way.

You can also try a reinstall, but I wouldn't be too hopeful about this getting anywhere if the drive is not being detected.

11. soaringxh3n

hmm drive is now detected, but still gettig the error.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!