Solved Blue screens and losing connection to gpu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beast10121

I've had my computer for a couple years and i custom build it. The first hard drive i used i had to replace because my computer kept freezing to the point where i could hardly boot it up. So i replaced the hard drive and it worked for about 6 months and then it started blue screening. The problem has been going on for a several months and im not sure whats causing it. I think one of the reasons its blue screening is because, apart from my hdd, I have a ssd that I basically took out from a toshiba external and made my computer recognize it as a sdd. Also when i disconnect either the hdd or sdd I cant boot my computer and i get the "Please select a proper boot device" message.
The blue screens are only one of the problems. My gpu has been overheating as well so i switched it out for one of my friends used ones but it didnt help the problem. Every time i try to play a game for an extended amount of time, lets say overwatch for a few hours, i get notifications that my rendering device has been disconnected and recovered.
I need to know if this is a motherboard problem or should i just wipe the drives, take out the sdd, and reinstall windows. I'm going to get some thermal paste for my gpu and dust it when i get the chance and see if that works. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is.

Oddba11

Jim
Several things to note here:

1) You should be able to disconnect all storage drives without affecting the primary boot drive (ie: the SSD). As it won't boot, I'd suspect that at some point the OS was installed/reinstalled with both drives connected and core files are on both drives.

2) The BSOD will display and ERROR or STOP code (just below the middle of the screen) which will often indicate the actual cause of the problem. If you are seeing multiple/changing codes, there is likely a hardware fault.

3) If only the one GPU is overheating, it could simply be dirty or the heatsink(s)/fan(s) are no longer working properly.

4) The "rendering device has been disconnected and recovered" error sounds like the common video driver recovery message. This is typically resolved by a fresh install of the video drivers (ie: uninstall the current version, reboot, reinstall and/or using a driver cleaning tool).

I'd start by cleaning the entire PC, not just the one gpu. Choose which drive you want as the primary drive and then backup any important data (or copy it to the other drive). After which, disconnect the "storage" drive and perform a fresh install of the OS. After the install is complete, you can reconnect the drive and copy your files back and then reformat the drive to ensure it's clean.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online