1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blue Snowball USB microphone won't connect to Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TyWMick, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TyWMick

TyWMick Account Closed Thread Starter

So when I plug in my Blue Snowball, a device setup window pops up, but then the device installation process gets stuck halfway through.

[​IMG]

This has happened multiple times, and I've left it going overnight a few of those times, but to no avail. And I've tried using it anyway just in case the installation isn't necessary, but it doesn't work.

I tried contacting Blue support to see if they had any drivers or anything, but they told me that it's supposed to be plug and play, so there's nothing they can do to help me, especially since I built the PC myself.

So, any insight? I'm running Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro, and here's my build.

I wonder for some probably unfounded reason if it might be one of my original system drivers I downloaded and installed, because I've tried reinstalling Windows a few times, and the mic problem persists... Each time I reinstall, the first thing I do is go to the websites of each of the parts and download and install the driver each company provides for the component. Do I not need all of those?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why are you running Microsoft Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro?

3. TyWMick

Oh, my brother got a free copy through some student program and gave it to me as a gift. Would it be causing any problems?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably, and you are not legally allowed to use it anyways. It's designed for industrial/commercial uses and not for end users at home. We cannot assist you with anything to do with this computer while you are running that version.

5. TyWMick

Wait, what? He got it through Microsoft DreamSpark, and that's still the version they hand out there. Is Microsoft breaking the law by distributing it to students?

All things considered, though, I did build this PC for business purposes; I'm writing it off on my taxes and all. Does that make a difference?

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

Your brother needs to re-read the Dreamspark TOS...

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's distributed to students to be use by those students, not for students to give to others. It is not for end users to use, it doesn't matter if you plan to use the computer for business purposes or not, that's still not was it is meant for and a violation of the terms.

8. TyWMick

Oh, whoops, yeah, looks like staff/faculty/students aren't supposed to give away their product keys... Guess his department sort of dropped the ball on the whole
    thing, haha.

Well, I guess I have a more pressing issue on my hands, then, and that's getting myself a new copy of Windows... Very sorry to have bothered you guys!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice