1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Blues Screen with External Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Peredy, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peredy

Peredy Thread Starter

Hello,

I just got the dreaded BSOD (Blue screen of death). This only happens when I plug in my external hard drive. First, here is the error:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xB9CEF3D0, 0xB958FF73

Ntfs.sys - Address B958FF73 base at B9542000m Datestamp 48025be5

Beginning dump of physical memory

What I have tried is:
    Plugging it into different computers (3 different ones)
    Running a repair tool (scanned for free, wants $ to fix it - Purchase required)
    Rolled back systems
    Started in safe mode

Here are the results
    * It happens on all 3 computers as soon as the hard drive is plugged in
    * I do not have money to purchase the program, however I doubt that my system needs the repair anyways BECAUSE most of the errors are saying that it cannot find certain target files. This is because the hard drive is not plugged in. If the hard drive didnt give the BSOD it would find them, and all 3 computers get the same.
    * Safe mode did nothing. Plugging it in still gave the BSOD
    * Rollback did nothing as well.
    * Updated all drivers. However I believe this is also not the problem as like I said it does the same on all machines. Just happened today.

** NOTE **
    Before I unplugged it yesterday I did notice an error that said "Windows cannot write the saved file..." (thats all I can remember from that) But it didn't give the blue screen right then.

System:
    XP Professional / 32 bit (All machines)
    Antivirus installed on one machine
    External Drive: Seagate

Any help is greatly appreciated, as these files on this external drive are Extremely important.

Please remember, I don't know how to run any fix when I can't even plug it in without getting the BSOD.

Key factor: I cannot run any diagnostic on the external drive because I get the BSOD immediately when I plug it in the usb.

Thanks a ton in advance!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Can you post a few of your latest minidump files? They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. ZIP them and attach them to your next post.

Right-click the minidump file, select Send To, then select Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Windows will compress (zip) the file and save the new zipped file in the same location.

If the Minidump folder is empty, you'll need to configure Windows to create minidump files:

How to Configure Windows to Create Minidump Files

3. Peredy

Peredy Thread Starter

Here is the mini dump files from all three times it happened on this machine. Thank you again for any and all help.

Attached Files:

4. Phantom010

Is this an old external hard drive? Any chance it might be failing?

5. Peredy

Peredy Thread Starter

It could be failing. I've only had it for 6 months though. With an error usually means there is a fix doesn't it?

6. Phantom010

Try running a chkdsk on it.

7. Peredy

Peredy Thread Starter

I thought of that, but the problem is it has to be connected to the computer to run that. As soon as it gets connected I get the blue screen so I can't run anything. Chkdsk wont run on the drive if it's not connected.

8. Phantom010

Yeah, it would help indeed if you could at least plug it in... :(

9. Peredy

Peredy Thread Starter

What I dont get is that I disabled auto run, so why it's still picking up on the Hard drive when I plug it in before I can run a chkdsk. There has to be some work around for this.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!